How do I set throttling levels on my Source system?
In a low-bandwidth or low-performance environment, you may be required to cap the bandwidth used for migration purposes in order toavoid any disruption of service.
We recommend the following:
- You can limit the number of concurrent connectionson your project (we will only open one network connection per item).
- Many systems (like Exchange 2010 or later) allow you to configure throttling policieswhich can be used to control load.
- Many routers or firewalls allow you to configure rate limits by URL or originating IP.
In addition, note the following:
- In a low-bandwidth environment, we recommend pre-staging your data ahead of time.
- If it is useful to know incoming IP addresses, you may implement an IP lockdown for your migration.
- When submitting migrations, you can specify a delayed start (for example,start the migration at 1 AM on a Saturday).
- The ideal number of mailboxes to migrate so as to fill a given bandwidth can be calculated using this KB article.
- For an explanation of bandwidth speed in a migration context, refer to this KB article.