- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Google Drive to Box.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The Source must be a paid version of Google Drive. Free Google Drive accounts are not a supported Source.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 in your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. For guidance, see Enable access to G Suite using OAuth 2.0.
- If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat these steps for each domain.
- Under Authorized API clients > Client Name > Enter: 118005701438129985126
- Under One or more API Scopes, enter the scope for G Suite (read-only scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
- OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts. If a G Suite tenant is a G Suite for Business Legacy free account, end user credentials must be used. Refer to KB005124 for more information on migrating with end user credentials.
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account on Box to be used for migration. KB005080
- Set up accounts on Box. More details can be found here.
- Important: If you are migrating permissions, the part of the usernames before the "@" sign on your Destination must match the part of the username on your Source before the "@" sign, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org on the Source must follow the same format before the @ sign on the Destination, and so must also equal "john.smith" on the Destination. The domain name, however, can be different. KB004843
Note: To use Box.com admin credentials, there must be a Box.com Business account with a minimum of three (3) seats in the account.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive.
- Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint (Google Drive) > Select the Destination endpoint (Box). At the Authorization tab, click on the Request Access Token button. Within the Box - API Request Authorization page, enter the email address and password for the Box admin account, and click on the Allow button on the next screen.
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will stop at 10GB, and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum number of licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- InitializationTimeout=28800000 - This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
- FolderLimit=20000 - This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
- Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Set the Advanced Option to send a notification to end users after the migration pass completes.
- Notifications > Send successful migration and notification to: > Source email address (if users are still using G Suite Gmail) or Destination email address (if users have already migrated from the G Suite Gmail platform).
- Customize the notification email. Put a checkmark in the Customize "successful migration" email box. Add your own customization text and company name to this email.
- Note: Notifications should only be set up before the final pass. If performing a single, Full pass, set this up now. If you are following a Pre-stage migration strategy, only set this up prior to the final Full (Delta) pass.
- For small- to medium-sized migration projects that have less than 250 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, Full pass migration.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- For large migration projects that have more than 250 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.
- Notify users once the migration has completed. Note: If you set the MigrationWiz Advanced Option for Notifications, they will receive an email upon migration completion. Assist them with setting up access to their Box accounts.
- Provide training to your users on Box.