How do I enable IMAP access for desktop clients such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express, how to remove folder size limits on IMAP folders and how to show All Mail label and other labels in Gmail?
1) How to enable IMAP access for desktop clients such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, go to > > > .
- In the section, select the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings.
- Under , select or clear the checkbox for .
If you select the checkbox, POP and IMAP are fully disabled for all users in your domain.
If you clear the checkbox, POP is enabled for your users, but IMAP remains disabled.
It may take 15-30 minutes for IMAP and POP changes to take effect. As long as the box is cleared, users can configure POP and IMAP access for a host of clients.
2) How to remove folder size limits on IMAP folders:
G Suite has a setting that can limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder. If this is configured, this will restrict MigrationWiz so that it can only retrieve and migrate that number of messages from each folder.
Follow these steps to see if this has been set by a user, and how to change it so that there is no limit set:
- Log in to the account.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand side of the window, and choose Settings.
- Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Under the IMAP Access heading, look for Folder Size Limits.
- Ensure that Do not limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder (default) is selected.
Note: To further clarify the implications of this setting: If the limit has been set (e.g., to 1,000 as per the default suggestion), then if folders contain more than 1000 items, they will be truncated at 1000 items. This means that MigrationWiz will only be able to migrate 1000 emails from each folder!
3) How to show All Mail label and other labels in Gmail:
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon at the top right of the Gmail window.
- Click on .
- Go to the tab.
- Checkmark for , and for any other label you want to include in an IMAP client, or migrate.