How do I start a new Cloud Storage migration project?
A cloud storage migration project moves files from an Amazon Web Services (AWS) S3 bucket to an Azure Blob, and vice versa. Follow the steps below to create a new cloud storage migration project:
Before starting your cloud storage migration project, you must have the following in place:
- Amazon S3 account (access key ID, AWS secret key). For guidance on obtaining Amazon S3 accounts, see How do I get an access key for Amazon S3?
- Azure Blob storage account (account name, access key). For guidance on obtaining Azure Blob Storage accounts, see How do I get an access key for Azure Blob Storage?
- MSPComplete endpoints created for both Source and Destination systems. For more information about creating endpoints, see View, add, and edit customer endpoints.
Creating the migration project
- Log in to your MSPComplete account by going to https://www.bittitan.com and clicking on the red Account (Sign In) button. Provide credentials, if requested.
- From either the All or Onboard tab, click on Cloud Storage Migration. This launches MigrationWiz.
- Select All Customers on the left navigation bar, then select the customer for whom you wish to create the migration project.
- On the top menu bar, click on +Create Project.
- Click on Create a Cloud Storage project.
- Enter a name for the project, and click on Next Step.
- If you haven't already, create an endpoint for both the Source and Destination connections (Azure Blob and AWS S3) for your migration. For more information about creating endpoints, see View, add, and edit customer endpoints.
- Enter Source settings (this includes credentials for your Amazon S3 or Azure Blob account). Click on Next.
Enter Destination settings (this includes credentials for your Amazon S3 or Azure Blob account). Click on Next.
Review the project summary, then click on Save and continue.
You must now add items to the migration project. In the top navigation bar, click on Add, then click on Quick Add.
In the Quick Add Item form, enter the names of the Source and Destination containers. Click on Save Item and Close.
- After returning to the MigrationWiz project manager, in the project list, select the desired project and click the start-project dropdown, then select your desired execution option:
- Verify Credentials: Verifies the Source and Destination secret access keys.
- Trial Migration: Migrates a very small amount of data in order to test that the project has been created properly, and that the containers have been entered correctly.
- Pre-Stage Migration: Pre-fills a Destination container with migrated items, defined by the Pre-Stage Migration settings chosen.
- Full Migration: Everything is migrated in one pass.
Retry Errors: Performs another attempt to migrate any items that previously failed to migrate.
Note: To learn how to delete a secret access key once the Cloud Storage migration project is completed, see How do I delete an Amazon S3 access key when the Cloud Storage migration project is complete? and How do I delete an Azure Blob storage access key when the Cloud Storage migration project is complete?