How do I confirm command-line installation of the HealthCheck for Azure On-Premises Windows Agent?
In most cases, the installation command returns immediately, and does not provide indication of success or failure. In some cases, the msiexec command fails (for example, it could fail when the MSI file is not accessible or is missing). If the command returns without error, the installation will progress, and could take some time to complete. In this case, the success or failure can be determined with the Windows Event Viewer, by following these steps:
- Click on the Windows Start button and search for Event Viewer.
- From the search results, open the Event Viewer desktop app.
- Click Windows Logs > Applications.
- From the Actions menu, click Filter Current log.
- Set the Event Source to MsiInstaller and click OK.
- One of the following three outcomes is possible:
- An event is found with a message indicating the successful installation of the agent. For example, the message text includes "Product: Cloudamize Windows Agent - Installation completed successfully."
- An event is found with a message indicating failure. For example, the message text includes "Product: Cloudamize Windows Agent - Installation failed." In this case, detailed error messages can be found in the Event Log with Cloudamize Windows Installation as the source. If any event is found, follow the instructions in the event details.
- Neither of the above events are found, in which case the installation is still underway.
- Generally, some message regarding success, failure, or a problem will appear in the Event Log within ten (10) minutes after the msiexec command is executed.
- However, to ensure successful installation, problems with connectivity are resolved by reattempting connections for up to 24 hours, allowing the installation to withstand significant network outages. For this reason, it is possible that neither of these events will appear in the Event log for 24 hours.
- If there is a problem, warning messages are sent to the Event Viewer with Cloudamize Windows Installation as the source. The event message provides information about the problem.
One problem that can occur is when a proxy is used and the user name or password is set incorrectly. In this case, connectivity through the proxy is reattempted for 24 hours, and a warning message is sent to the Event Viewer. To fix the problem, reattempt installation after the failure message appears in the Event Log. Alternatively, installation can be manually terminated.
Note: When manually terminating the installation, it is critical that all msiexec processes are terminated, and also terminated in the correct order.