Public Folder Migration Guide From On-Premises Exchange 2007+ to Office 365 > 20GB
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating public folders from on-premises Exchange 2007 or later, to public folders on Microsoft Office 365.
- This guide should be followed if the total size of the public folders at the source is more than 20GB.
- This guide presumes that hybrid coexistence has not been set up. If working in a hybrid environment, refer to KB005465.
- Complete each step in order. If additional instructions are required, a link to a corresponding Knowledge Base article is provided.
Prepare Source Exchange Environment:
- Set elevated 'Organization Management' administrator role to the migrating administrator account (this grants permission to all necessary read-only fields). KB004788
- Ensure that the migrating administrator account has permission to access all public folders (owner access rights need to be permitted to the account being used for migration). KB005103
- Split up large public folders. If any public folders contain more than 20,000 items (if Source = Exchange 2007), or 100,000 items (if Source = Exchange 2010 or later), these should be split into multiple Public Folders. This will speed up your migration. KB005526
Prepare Destination Office 365 Environment:
- Set up the Office 365 tenant.
- Add users and assign SKUs (if permissions are being migrated, this is required).
- Create a Public Folder mailbox, and assign root permissions to this Public Folder mailbox to the admin account being used for migration. KB005069 and video.
- Allocate Public Folders from the Source to their corresponding Public Folder mailboxes on Office 365 so that each mailbox on the Destination remains below 20GB.
- Important: If you have more than 1,000 folders or any folders larger than 20GB, contact BitTitan Support to help you plan and evaluate your project. In the subject of your email, reference "Public Folder Split" and "Folder Mapping". Click here to contact BitTitan Support.
- Note: This is important because public folders that are larger than 20GB can automatically trigger automatic splitting of the Public Folder mailboxes on Office 365, which may cause the migration to fail.
- Note: This step can take several days to complete, so allow time for this in your project plan.
- Create customer. KB005421
- Create the source and destination endpoints (select Exchange Server Public Folder for the source endpoint, and Office 365 for the destination endpoint). KB005427
- Launch public folder migration (select All Products/Public Folder Migration).
- Set up Project (Create Public Folder project/Name project and select MSPComplete customer/Select Source endpoint/Select Destination endpoint).
- Add Public Folders. To understand how pricing works, refer to KB004863.
- Select Add/Quick Add and enter a forward slash ( / ) within the field labeled Root Folder Path. KB004914
- Select Add/AutoDiscover items/Start Autodiscover/Import.
- Choose to migrate all Source Public Folders.
- Use BitTitan AutoDiscover to discover all Public Folders on the Source, and then import them into your MigrationWiz dashboard. This allows you to pick and choose which Public Folders to migrate.
Note: Each top-level folder will consume one Public Folder license. KB004915
- Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
- If the Source Public Folders have more than 1000 folders below the top-level folder, work with BitTitan Support so that the migration can be split up, based on migration points after every 1000 folders. KB005239
Note: Once the tool is complete, you must run the migration from the new project, and can then delete the original project.
- Purchase Public Folder licenses. KB004647
- To obtain an estimate of the number of Public Folder migration licenses required for your migration project, follow the directions in KB005791.
- Set Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Set the value for Migrate Permissions For to New folder and existing folders. This is required because Public Folder mapping scripts have been created. KB004817
- Set value for Licensing/Maximum licenses to consume per item per pass licensing count. Default = 1. This allows up to 10GB to be migrated. Example: If migrating all Public Folders, using the forward slash ( / ), and the total data size = 78GB, then increase this value to 8 (otherwise the migration will pause at 10GB). If using AutoDiscover, and the largest top-level folder = 37GB, increase this value to 4. KB004890 KB004863
- Add RemoveFilterBasedOnFolderType=1 under Support/Support options. This flag is required if Public Folders contain items other than mail, such as calendar and contact items. KB005053
- Set Preferred BitTitan Data Center. For fastest migration speeds, select the Data Center that is closest to your Office 365 Destination tenant. KB004268
- First Pass MigrationWiz Steps:
- Add: MaintainWatermarkCompletionState=1
- Set date to migrate items older than six (6) months.
- Set first pass Project Advanced Options: KB005067
- Perform Full Migration pass (checkmark the box next to Root Path, select Start button/select Full Migration from the drop-down list/click on the Start Migration button).
- Second/Final Pass MigrationWiz Steps:
- Remove: MaintainWatermarkCompletionState=1
- Add: SkipImportFolderWhenPublicFolderExists=1
- Set the date to migrate items newer than six (6) months.
- Set second pass Project Advanced Options: KB005067
- Perform Full Migration pass (put a checkmark in the box next to Root Path, select the Start button > select Full Migration from the drop-down list > click on the Start Migration button).
- Perform a final Full Migration pass using the Advanced Option AllowAllMailboxTypesForPFPermissions=1 in order to migrate all Security Group Permissions. If you do not run the second pass, none of the Security Group Permissions will migrate.
- Receive migration statistics (click on the pie chart on the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics). KB004626