Using workgroups, you can create separate sets of customer, Runbooks, and agent information. This lets you set up security boundaries within your organization or accommodate different subscription billing needs. This article outlines the reasons for creating workgroups, explains the requirements for using workgroups, and guides you through the process of setting them up.
Sections in this article:
By dividing customers into workgroups, you can accommodate different security or financial requirements. Workgroups are useful for large organizations that deliver services across different geographical regions or that need to purchase MSPComplete subscriptions using separate billing methods.
Creating new workgroups is optional
If you do not create additional workgroups, all MSPComplete data falls within your default workgroup, which can be renamed. Using a single workgroup is often adequate for smaller service delivery organizations.
Workgroups do not share data
Because a workgroup creates a security boundary within MSPComplete, all customer records, subscription information, agent accounts, and scheduled services are contained within the selected workgroup.
Important: You cannot copy or move any information across workgroups using the MSPComplete interface.
Each workgroup has a different credit card billing setup
Workgroups use separate billing mechanisms for purchasing subscriptions and licenses. For example, if you need to use two separate credit cards to purchase subscriptions, you can set up two separate workgroups.
Distributor coupons cover all workgroups
If you purchase subscriptions from a distributor, you can buy a block of subscriptions and choose how to allocate the subscriptions among different workgroups when you redeem the distributor’s coupon.
Agents have a default workgroup and can be invited to join other workgroups
Every MSPComplete agent has a default, personal workgroup and can be invited to join other workgroups. Suppose that you invite someone to become a manager for a workgroup you have set up. The new agent will join your workgroup but also have a default workgroup that can be used for testing purposes. The agent can move between the two workgroups using the selector at the top of the left navigation pane.
Examples of reasons to set up workgroups
The following are some possible reasons for setting up workgroups:
- Create a test group for training purposes. Because workgroup data is fully contained within the workgroup, a test workgroup provides a useful means for training service personnel before exposing them to actual customer information.
Tip: To assist with training, each workgroup provides three (3) free subscriptions that agents can use to test service delivery.
- Comply with security or financial regulations. If you deliver services in regions that impose policies for keeping customer information self-contained, you can set up regional workgroups to comply with those regulations.
- Compartmentalize customers for security or convenience. Because MSPComplete agents see only the information for the workgroups they belong to, you can set up workgroups to give your IT personnel access to only those customers they provide services for.
Administrator can create a new workgroup by using the Add button in the top navigation bar.
Follow these steps to create a workgroup:
- Click Add on the top navigation bar, and then select Workgroup.
- Enter the workgroup name.
Note: If your account was approved for distributor licensing when you registered for MSPComplete, there is a box for I do not want to purchase licenses through a Distributor.
- Leave the box unchecked If you want to purchase subscriptions through a distributor.
- Add a checkmark to indicate that you want to purchase licenses directly using a credit card.
Administrators and Managers can edit a workgroup after it is created to change its name or to change the billing method used to purchase subscriptions for customers within the workgroup.
Important: Workgroups cannot be deleted.
Follow these steps to edit a workgroup:
- Select the workgroup on the top of the left navigation pane.
- Click Settings in the left navigation pane.
- On the Workgroups Page, you can modify the information listed below:
Click the name of the workgroup to change it, and press enter to save it.
Default Agent Cost
Click the Per Hour rate for agents to change it, and press enter to save it.