What are some best practice guidelines for migrating from G Suite or Gmail?
Here is what you need to know about migrating from G Suite or Gmail:
From free Gmail or non-paid G Suite accounts:
- Regular non-paid G Suite or Gmail accounts do not have administrative credentials. For these types of accounts, the process is as follows:
- Follow the normal steps for project creation, and set Advanced Options.
- When it comes to the G Suite or Gmail side (either Source or Destination, depending on your migration scenario), add the SMTP email addresses into MigrationWiz.
- When you submit for a migration pass, the item status in MigrationWiz will change to "Waiting For User".
At this point, the end user should log in to their G Suite or Gmail account, and look for an email with the following subject heading: "ACTION REQUIRED: Information required for your migration".
- This will contain a link next to Source or Destination (depending on your migration scenario).
- Once the link has been clicked on, the next page will state: "MigrationWiz would like to have offline access". Click on the Allow button to proceed with the migration.
- The status in your MigrationWiz project will now change to "submitted", and the migration will continue in the normal manner.
Note: Without admin credentials, your account may be temporarily locked by Google. Here is how to unlock your account.
From G Suite for Business or Education:
Enable OAuth administrative credentials to avoid Google lockouts and having to provide each end user's credentials:
- Here is how to enable OAuth administrative credentials.
- Note: When setting up the migration project, and choosing G Suite as either the Source or Destination, it is necessary to add ALL domains that will be migrating from, or to, G Suite. This means that if there are users in one project with domain names Sourcedomain.com and Destinationdomain.com, you must ensure that both of these are added under Your Domains, when setting up the project in MigrationWiz.
Review how items are migrated to Exchange/Office365:
Be aware of G Suite throttling when retrieving data. Google may lock your account for 24 hours if they consider that too much data has been retrieved from their servers in a given amount of time. MigrationWiz adjusts migration throughput accordingly but remains subject to those limits. Find more information about G Suite throttling limits here.