How do I migrate from Exchange (old version) to Exchange (new version)?
MigrationWiz supports migrations from a previous version of Exchange (for example, Exchange 2003) to a more recent one (like Exchange 2010, 2013, or 2016), without the need for a staging server. With MigrationWiz, you can migrate directly from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2016.
Here is a description of the process:
- For each Source user (e.g., JohnDoe), create a new Destination dummy user account (e.g., TempJohnDoe) and user-disable it.
- Mailbox-enable the Destination dummy user account (assign it an unused email address such as TempJohnDoe@company.com).
- Perform your migration (migrating from mailbox JohnDoe@company.com to mailbox TempJohnDoe@company.com).
- Mailbox-disable the Source user account (this will detach the user from the source mailbox).
- Grant the Source user (ex: JohnDoe) permission over mailbox TempJohnDoe@company.com.
- Change the primary SMTP address to JohnDoe@company.com.
Note that the Destination dummy user account is only required because the Destination mailbox must be associated with a user. User-disabling the Destination dummy user account ensures no one can log in to the account.