How do I delete all of the directory synchronized objects from Office 365?
Directory synchronized objects cannot be deleted through the Microsoft Office 365 Administrative Portal. Instead, you can do this by performing the following:
- Using the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, create an Organizational Unit (OU) called Empty.
- If you have users, contacts, or groups that you would like to preserve in Office 365, move them to the OU created in Step 1.
- Now configure the directory synchronization tool to point to the OU just created:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Online Directory Sync\SYNCBUS\UIShell .
- Launch the application miisclient.exe.
- Click on the Management Agents tab at the top.
- Right-click on the Management Agent SourceAD and select Properties.
- From the navigation pane, click on Configure Directory Partitions.
- Click on the Containers button for Select containers for this partition.
- Enter your user name and password of an account that has read access to Active Directory. Note that these credentials are only used by the interface to discover your Active Directory OU structure.
- Deselect all OUs.
- Select only the OU created in Step 1.
- Click on OK to close the container picker.
- Click on OK to save the changes.
- Force directory synchronization.
- Verify that the synchronized users were deleted.
- Open your browser to the Microsoft Office 365 Administrative Portal.
- In the navigation pane, click on Users.
- It may take up to several minutes for the deletions to reflect within the portal.
- Once you have verified that the user accounts have been deleted, repoint the OU back to the root of the domain.