How are licenses used?
Here are some details about the way we use migration licenses stored in your account:
- We never consume any license unless a migration succeeds. If a specific mailbox cannot migrate successfully, then no license is consumed. A license may be temporarily consumed while a migration is in progress, but the license is automatically restored if the migration fails or is stopped.
- Licenses are not locked to a specific project. They are, however, tied to specific types of migrations. This means that licenses are available for any project of that migration type.
- Whenever you start a migration, we always clearly indicate whether a license will be used or not, assuming the migration will succeed. We also keep track of all license usage in a security log. If you have any questions, contact Support and we’ll review or send you license usage log information.
- Consider the case of a successful migration, but with errors. You can perform “retry error” migration passes free of charge, regardless of whether you used a trial migration or a mailbox license to migrate. This type of migration only attempts to repair migration errors, and so cannot be used to migrate items received after the initial migration.
- Consider the case of Full (also known as Delta) migrations. If you used a mailbox migration license for the Pre-Stage migration, then you can perform Delta migrations at no additional charge, up to 10 successful migration passes and up to 50GB if you are performing a mailbox migration project.
- Deleting a line item after a Full or Delta pass, and recreating a new line item with the exact same details (e.g., same email address) will still consume additional licenses even if it is done on the same project.
- By default, after six (6) months of inactivity, a project is deleted and the licenses are considered consumed if there was a successful Pre-Stage or Full Migration. If needed, you can extend the period of a project by following the steps in KB004624.
- To keep the same license between different projects, you have to move the line items instead of recreating them. For help with this, follow the steps detailed in KB004860.
Refer to KB004845 for more information on which type of license to choose for your project.