Follow this checklist for MigrationWiz migrations.
However, if you are using MigrationWiz in conjunction with DeploymentPro (which is used to automate the setup of Outlook profiles when migrating to Office365), it is recommended that you follow the checklist in the Knowledge Base article Checklist to follow when using DeploymentPro (legacy) in conjunction with MigrationWiz.
- Provision users in Office365.
- Create and Configure a mailbox Project.
- Associate all of your mailboxes to the mailbox project. Mailboxes can be created manually through the MigrationWiz portal, or by importing a csv formatted spreadsheet (downloadable through your MigrationWiz portal), or, if you have administrator credentials at the Source, by using our Autodiscover tool to import the users. If your Office 365 addresses are in a different format from the Source addresses, amend these either individually (by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of each mailbox), or by editing the CSV file with the correct Destination email addresses, prior to importing.
- Perform a free trial migration. (Optional. If used, this will verify credentials, create the mailbox folder structure, and migrate a small number of items into each folder. When the full migration begins, it will keep this structure and begin where the trial ended).
- Migrate the largest mailbox, using MigrationWiz to perform a speed test (optional). This requires a the purchase of mailbox license or a User Migration Bundle license.
- Calculate and size migration (optional)
- Notify users that their mailboxes will be moving to a new system.
- Purchase migration licenses.
Note: The purchase licenses interface is accessed by clicking on the $ icon at the top right of your MigrationWiz portal.
One week before cutover:
- Notify users that the migration is imminent.
- Verify mailbox access by submitting mailboxes for migration using Verify Credentials.
- Perform initial migration pass. Follow the directions in the article Common migration strategies.
Note: The most popular strategy to follow is the Pre-Stage Migration strategy. See the related articles at the bottom of this page to access a link to this Knowledge Base article. If you are performing a Big Bang Migration (only recommended for small migrations), then this step is not required.
Day of migration:
- Cut over mail flow to new system. Change MX records to point to Office 365. The DNS information can be obtained from your Office 365 admin portal.
Note: If you are migrating only a subset of users, you need to set up mailbox forwarding/co-existence.
- Wait for cutover information to propagate.
- Wait for the forwarding duration to complete (If performing a coexistence migration).
- Wait for the TTL expiration of MX records (you can look up TTL by using MX Toolbox).
Day after migration:
- Perform a delta migration to pick up any residual mail (optional, but recommended since it will migrate any lingering email that was still routed to the old Source email platform).
- Notify users that the migration is complete, and set up their Outlook profiles to point to their new Destination.
Note: If migrating to Office 365, you could use DeploymentPro for this. Refer to Common migration strategies for the steps to follow.
- Check if any mailboxes have migration errors and perform the error resolution steps described with each error. Note: To migrate failed items, submit mailboxes for migration using the mode: Retry Mailbox Migration Errors.