Notice: This Knowledge Base article pertains specifically to the DeploymentPro for UserActivation product, and not to the DeploymentPro product that is part of MSPComplete.
What is the process for installing the DeploymentPro for UserActivation Agent from end user email?
- End User install
- Outlook Configuration
1. End User Install:
The install phase begins with the email to the end user. UserActivation will send an email to every user who has DeploymentPro for UserActivation as a feature of their profile. This email contains a unique authentication code as well as a link to download the DeploymentPro for UserActivation Agent. This link will download the install agent called Bootstrap.exe.
When the Bootstrap.exe file is run it will launch an install that will complete the following:
- Check to see if the user meets the minimum system requirements to run DeploymentPro for UserActivation.
- If users computer does not meet minimum system requirements, the installer will stop and display an error.
- If their computer does meet the requirements the installer will continue to run.
- Download the necessary files for DeploymentPro to the users temp folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\UserActivation
- The download normally takes 2-5 minutes but depending on bandwidth speed, it can take longer. The Bootstrap.exe has a timeout function that will stop the download and show an error after 1 hour.
- Once the download completes the you will see a notification in the system tray and UserActivation will display a dialog box asking for the authentication code that was provided in the users email.
Note: This window can be closed by clicking the red X but can be re-opened by clicking on the icon in the system tray. The process will not continue until the user inputs a valid authentication code.
Once the install is completed, users immediately enter the monitoring phase. During this phase there will be a process running in the background called Guardian. This Guardian process communicates with our UserActivation servers to receive instructions on what actions it should take and doesn't do anything to the end user's computer until the DNS cutover has been processed. Once the DNS cutover has been processed, our UserActivation servers signal down to the Guardian processes to create and configure the new mail profile for your Destination. You can monitor who has completed the install successfully from your Project Dashboard.
Once the Guardian receives the signal from the UserActivation servers that the DNS records have been cut over, it launches the OutlookConfigurator.exe file. This will launch the DeploymentPro Wizard, which will guide the user through the configuration process below.
- The first page of the wizard provides instructions to the end user to make sure they complete the entire wizard so that they do not lose access to their email.
- The second page of the wizard is the Password page where users will either create a new password on the Destination mail system, or use an existing password.
- The third page of the wizard displays the status of the configuration.
- If the configuration succeeds, they will move to the final confirmation page.
- If the automatic configuration fails, the DeploymentPro Wizard will provide the settings that the user will need in order to configure Outlook manually, as well as links to our Knowledge Base articles with detailed, step-by-step instructions to manually create a new Outlook profile.
The Guardian process will stop running once we confirm that the configuration has completed successfully.