Are Distribution Lists migrated?
- Server-based Distribution Lists are not migrated with MigrationWiz since MigrationWiz does not include Distribution List discovery.
- Personal Distribution Lists are not migrated by MigrationWiz.
- When referring to Distribution Lists, there is an important distinction between server-based Distribution Lists and personal Distribution Lists. Server-based Distribution Lists appear in the Global Address List, while Personal Distribution Lists are stored locally.
- Personal Distribution Lists are now called Contact Groups in Office 365.
If you have server-based Distribution Lists, your options include the following:
- Use Microsoft or BitTitan synchronization tools (e.g., AAD Sync or AAD Connect) to synchronize the Distribution Lists between your Source environment and your Destination environment. For more information on the processes to follow when using Microsoft synchronization tools in conjunction with MigrationWiz, refer to KB004336.
- Create your own PowerShell scripts to export and import these. Examples from Microsoft can be found here.
- Manually recreate the Distribution Lists at the Destination.
If migrating from Hosted Exchange, ask the Hosted Exchange provider to export the Distribution Lists to a CSV file, and then import them into Office 365, based on the information in the CSV file.
- Other Source systems will not have (Exchange) Distribution Lists. Partners should create Distribution Lists post-migration, and then add the necessary users into the Distribution Lists, based on the membership of equivalent groups/Distribution Lists from the Source.