- Server-based Distribution Lists are not migrated with MigrationWiz since MigrationWiz does not include Distribution List discovery.
- Personal Distribution Lists are not migrated by MigrationWiz.
- When referring to Distribution Lists, there is an important distinction between server-based Distribution Lists and personal Distribution Lists. Server-based Distribution Lists appear in the Global Address List, while Personal Distribution Lists are stored locally.
- Personal Distribution Lists are now called Contact Groups in Office 365.
If you have server-based Distribution Lists, your options include the following:
- Use Microsoft (e.g., AAD Connect formally known as AAD Sync) to synchronize the Distribution Lists between your Source environment and your Destination environment.
- Create your own PowerShell scripts to export and import these. Examples from Microsoft can be found here.
- Manually recreate the Distribution Lists at the Destination.
If migrating from Hosted Exchange, ask the Hosted Exchange provider to export the Distribution Lists to a CSV file, and then import them into Office 365, based on the information in the CSV file.
- Other Source systems will not have (Exchange) Distribution Lists. Partners should create Distribution Lists post-migration, and then add the necessary users into the Distribution Lists, based on the membership of equivalent groups/Distribution Lists from the Source.