How do I verify mailbox access on Office 365?
Perform the following steps to verify mailbox access.
- Browse to https://login.microsoftonline.com.
- Log in as admin email address.
- Enter the exact same password as specified in MigrationWiz.
- Click on User & groups.
- Make sure the admin email address and the end user´s email address specified in MigrationWiz are not misspelled by searching for them.
- Make sure all users have licenses assigned to them (see here if using kiosk licenses).
Note: All mailboxes on the Source system are created as mail users in Office 365. When you assign a license to the mail user, it will become a mailbox user. We need a mailbox at the Destination in order to be able to migrate data.
- If you are not using impersonation, make sure the admin account has a license assigned to it. This can even be a temporary trial license.
- If you deleted and recreated users, make sure the users have been hard-deleted from the Deleted users tab in the Office 365 portal:
A hard delete must be done using PowerShell (see this page if you need to install it). The script to play is:
Import-Module -Name MSOnline
$LiveCred = Get-Credential
Connect-MsolService -Credential $LiveCred
Get-MsolUser -ReturnDeletedUsers | Remove-MsolUser -RemoveFromRecycleBin –Force
- This will remove deleted users from the recycle bin to permanent deletion.
- Click on the Outlook tab to open the OWA and make sure you can open the end user´s email address.
- After creating a user, there are always small replication delays in Office 365.
- When you submit for migration, we try to automatically grant the admin account (enable impersonation) permission on mailboxes, by executing Office 365 PowerShell commands. In some cases, the Office 365 PowerShell command may fail. If done manually, the issue should be resolved. KB004727 explains how to do enable impersonation.
- When migrating more than 10 mailboxes, you will experience serious throttling without impersonation enabled. We recommend enabling impersonation; but keep in mind that if you enable impersonation, by default the admin account does not have permission to impersonate user accounts. We attempt to grant impersonation rights behind the scenes, but it takes a very long time and can time out. You can either:
- Wait 30 minutes and resubmit the migration.