How do I verify mailbox access on Office 365?
Perform the following steps to verify mailbox access.
- Browse to https://login.microsoftonline.com.
- Log in as admin email address.
- Enter the exact same password as specified in MigrationWiz.
- Click on User & groups.
- Make sure the admin email address and the end user´s email address specified in MigrationWiz are not misspelled by searching for them.
- Make sure all users have licenses assigned to them (see here if using kiosk licenses).
Note: All mailboxes on the Source system are created as mail users in Office 365. When you assign a license to the mail user, it will become a mailbox user. We need a mailbox at the Destination in order to be able to migrate data.
- If you are not using impersonation, make sure the admin account has a license assigned to it. This can even be a temporary trial license.
- If you deleted and recreated users, make sure the users have been hard-deleted from the Deleted users tab in the Office 365 portal:
You must first use PowerShell to execute a hard delete.
Note: If not already installed, download and install the Azure Active Directory v2 PowerShell module.
Execute the following PowerShell commands:
Import-Module -Name MSOnline
$LiveCred = Get-Credential
Connect-MsolService -Credential $LiveCred
Get-MsolUser -ReturnDeletedUsers | Remove-MsolUser -RemoveFromRecycleBin –Force
- The PowerShell commands remove deleted users from the recycle bin and permanently delete them.
- Click on the Outlook tab to open the OWA and make sure you can open the end user´s email address.
- After creating a user, you may experience small replication delays in Office 365.
- When you submit the project for migration, we try to automatically grant the administrator account permission on mailboxes (using impersonation), by executing Office 365 PowerShell commands. In some cases, the Office 365 PowerShell command may fail. If done manually, the issue should be resolved. (The article, How do I migrate to Exchange or Office 365 using impersonation? explains how to do enable impersonation.
- When migrating more than 10 mailboxes, you may experience throttling if not using impersonation. We recommend enabling impersonation; but keep in mind that if you enable impersonation, by default the administrator account does not have permission to impersonate user accounts. We attempt to grant impersonation rights behind the scenes, but it takes a very long time and can time out. You can either:
- Wait 30 minutes and resubmit the migration.