On-Premises Exchange (version 2007 and later) to G Suite Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, go to the Delivery Center and add a Mail: On Premise Exchange 2007+ to G Suite service to the customer. Read the Delivery Center article for more information about adding services to a customer.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from On-Premises Exchange servers (version 2007 and later) to G Suite.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- If your Source server is running Exchange version 2003, or Small Business Server (SBS), refer to KB004965, for the steps to prepare your Source server.
- The MSPComplete section includes steps to deploy the Device Management Agent (DMA) to end users. This is an Agent which includes multiple modules, e.g., for HealthCheck for Office 365 and DeploymentPro. It is not required to install DMA for this migration scenario. However, BitTitan will be adding several modules to DMA, and these will be important to power MSPComplete feeds (which will provide further information to you about upsell and cross-sell opportunities).
Prepare the Source Exchange Environment
- Set up an administrator account for migration on the Source Exchange mailbox server. KB004725
- EWS must be working on Source Exchange server. KB004392
- Test mailbox access. KB004616
Disable the Exchange throttling policy during migration. KB004945
If you want to migrate archived email with in-flight stub rehydration, deploy the archive extractor agent in the Source environment. KB005639
- This is only relevant for Exchange 2010+. Exchange versions 2007 and earlier do not have throttling policies.
- If running Exchange 2010 and later, we highly recommend disabling the Exchange throttling policy in order to speed up your migrations.
- Follow the instructions under Option 1 in KB004945 to disable throttling for just the admin account, rather for than all users.
Note: Archived email migration is only supported for Veritas Enterprise Vault 9 and 10. All other versions are currently not supported. Read KB005463 to learn more about archive email migration with in-flight stub rehydration.
Important: BitTitan cannot migrate items in vault stores that are not associated with a vault store group; that is, when a vault store’s group version field is empty.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create users on G Suite. Refer to the G Suite admin help article here.
Grant MigrationWiz OAuth 2.0 access to G Suite. KB005019
- G Suite as the Destination (full scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro Bundle). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users (optional). Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by these options:
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology, because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
If you want to migrate archived email with in-flight stub rehydration, provide additional Source configuration information, such as the Enterprise Vault SQL server and Active Directory information. KB005489
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Note: Archived email migration is only supported for Veritas Enterprise Vault 9 or later. Read KB005463 to learn more about archived email migration with in-flight stub rehydration.
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set Maximum concurrent migrations. If the Source server has enough server resources, set this parameter based on the bandwidth guideline of three (3) mailboxes per 1Mbps of bandwidth. Therefore, for example, if there is a 10Mbps connection, we recommend setting the maximum concurrent migrations parameter to be 30. If the Source server has very few available server resources (e.g., it is running low on memory or it has a very high CPU utilization), we recommend setting this value to a lower number to avoid overwhelming the Source server with requests.
- Add folder mapping: FolderMapping="^INBOX/->" under Support/Support options. Note: This will map folders to the root label on the Destination mailboxes, rather than under inbox/labelname. KB005068
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
If users will be using Microsoft Outlook with G Suite, they will need to follow the instructions here, to download and install G Suite Sync for Outlook and create a new Outlook profile that connects to G Suite.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Note: If you are migrating in batches and coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must perform this extra step: