Box to SharePoint Online Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, click the waffle icon () in the top navigation bar of MSPComplete, and select the appropriate migration product.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Box to Microsoft SharePoint Online.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- This is a one-to-many migration path. This means that data that belongs to one user will be migrated into a shared document library. This is a rare business case, because individual data would then be accessible by multiple people.
- If performing a Box to OneDrive for Business migration, refer to KB005079.
- SharePoint Online has certain limitations. You need to be aware of these limitations before migrating. They are documented in the following article: KB005058
- This specific migration scenario (i.e., Box to SharePoint Online) is free and does not require any MigrationWiz licenses.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create a Box user account that will be used for the migration and grant main or co-admin privileges to the user. KB005080
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. You can do this by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. From the admin console, click on the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click on Export Users. KB005553
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create a SharePoint Online administrator or Site Collection administrator account to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. More information on these can be found here.
- Create SharePoint site. Note: Make a note of the site URL where the document libraries will be stored. This will be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint.
- Create the structure of the document libraries, and also create the actual document libraries on the Destination SharePoint Online site, before beginning the migration project. Note: Refer to this Microsoft training video for more information: Create your document library.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box.
- Leave the radio button checked for Provide Credentials.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select SharePoint.
- Enter the URL for the top-level SharePoint document library,
- Enter the administrator username and password in the fields. Note: This must be either a Global administrator, SharePoint Online administrator, or a Site Collection administrator account.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the accounts (items) that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint.
- Click on the Save button. This will take you back to the Authorization page. Click the Request Access Token button. Enter the email address of the Box.com administrator, and the password of this Box.com account. Click on the Authorize button. Click on Grant Access to Box. Once the Source Authorization completes, click Save Project.
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Click on Add and enter the email address of each Box.com user for Source, and the corresponding document library name at the Destination that the Source documents will be migrated into.
- Note: The name that needs to be entered under Destination in MigrationWiz will be the text that is at the end of the site URL. This may be different than the actual name that has been set for the Document Library. The examples below help explain this:
- If the document library is named "Documents" and the URL is listed as "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Documents/", enter Documents as the document library name.
- If your document library is named "Documents" but the URL says "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/", the name of the document library that needs to be entered is Shared Documents.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Purchase Document Migration licenses. KB004647
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users letting them know the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their Box accounts, because any modifications will not be included in the migration.
Perform the migration. Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will pause at 10GB and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, then only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- InitializationTimeout=28800000 - This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
- FolderLimit=20000 - This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
- RenameConflictingFiles=1 - This automatically rename the files that have the same name. This will rename the files to their original file names, followed by an unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. KB005006.
- Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- This will change the status to Waiting For User. Email will then be sent to the Source email address user with a subject: ACTION REQUIRED: Information required for your migration. The user will need to open the email and then grant approval for the migration by following the steps detailed in the email.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.