- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Box to Microsoft SharePoint Online.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- This is a one-to-many migration path. This means that data that belongs to one user will be migrated into a shared document library. This is a rare business case because individual data would then be accessible by multiple people.
- If performing a Box to OneDrive for Business migration, refer to Box to OneDrive for Business Migration Guide.
- SharePoint Online has certain limitations. You need to be aware of these limitations before migrating. They are documented in the following article: What limitations of SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business should I be aware of when migrating?
- This migration scenario is free and requires no MigrationWiz licenses.
- MigrationWiz now supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive are able to view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create a Box user account that will be used for the migration and grant main admin privileges to that user. How do I create an administrator account in Box to be used for migration?
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. You can do this by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. From the admin console, click the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click Export Users. Then add the users to the Customer page with the instructions in this article: View, Add, and Edit Customers' Users
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create a SharePoint Online administrator or Site Collection administrator account to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. More information on these can be found here.
- Create the SharePoint site.
Note: Make a note of the site URL where the document libraries will be stored. This will be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint.
- Create the structure of the document libraries, and also create the actual document libraries on the Destination SharePoint Online site, before beginning the migration project.
Note: Refer to this Microsoft training video for more information: Create your document library.
- Create the customer. View, Add, and Edit Your Customers
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box.
- Leave the radio button checked for Provide Credentials.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select SharePoint.
- Enter the URL for the top-level SharePoint document library. For more information on finding the URL for the SharePoint library, see How do I find the URL for my SharePoint Library or OneDrive for Business?
- Enter the administrator username and password in the fields.
Note: This must be either a Global administrator, SharePoint Online administrator, or a Site Collection administrator account.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Create the Document Migration project. How do I set up a migration project?
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint.
- Click the Save button. This will take you back to the Authorization page. Click the Request Access Token button. Enter the email address of the Box.com administrator, and the password of this Box.com account. Click the Authorize button. Click Grant Access to Box. Once the Source Authorization completes, click Save Project.
- Note: The name that needs to be entered under Destination in MigrationWiz will be the text that is at the end of the site URL. This may be different than the actual name that has been set for the Document Library. The examples below help explain this:
- If the document library is named "Documents" and the URL is listed as "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Documents/", enter Documents as the document library name.
- If your document library is named "Documents" but the URL says "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/", the name of the document library that needs to be entered is Shared Documents.
- Click Add and enter the email address of each Box.com user for Source, and the corresponding document library name at the Destination that the Source documents will be migrated into.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
InitializationTimeout=8- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. Read the Cannot get folders from My Drive for more information.
RenameConflictingFiles=1 - This automatically renames the files that have the same name. This will rename the files to their original file names, followed by a unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search.
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button.
- This will change the status to Waiting For User. An email will then be sent to the Source email address user with a subject: ACTION REQUIRED: Information required for your migration. The user will need to open the email and then grant approval for the migration by following the steps detailed in the email.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.