Public Folder Migration Guide From Hosted Exchange To Office 365 < 20GB
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating public folders from a multi-tenant hosted Exchange environment running Exchange 2007 or later, to public folders on Office 365.
- This guide should be followed if the total size of the public folders on the source is less than 20GB. If larger than 20GB, refer to KB005469.
- Complete each step in order. If additional instructions are required, a link to a corresponding Knowledge Base article is provided.
- Estimate of migration speed = 500MB per hour. If total size of Public Folders = 12GB, the project should complete in 24 hours.
- If you experience throttling limits when migrating to Office 365, and if you are migrating more than 1000 seats, you can increase throttling limits by following guidance provided in How to increase EWS throttling limits.
Prepare Source Exchange Environment:
Note: You will not be able to run the PowerShell commands on your Hosted Exchange environment. Ask the Hosted Exchange provider to add this permission to the account that is being used for migration. If they do not want to provide "owner" access rights, ask them to add "read" access rights instead.
This is the PowerShell script that your Hosted Exchange provider must run in order to obtain that PublicFolderRootEntryId:
Get-PublicFolder "\the path of the PF" | fl entryid*
Note: Record the output of this script. This needs to be entered under the MigrationWiz project's Advanced Options (as indicated in the MigrationWiz Steps section below).
Prepare Destination Office 365 Environment:
(Default value = 1. This allows up to 10GB to be migrated. For example: If migrating all Public Folders, using a forward slash ( / ), and the total data size = 39GB, then increase this value to 4, otherwise the migration will pause at 10GB). KB004890
For fastest migration speeds, select the Data Center that is closest to your Office 365 Destination tenant. KB004268
This flag is required if Public Folders contain items other than mail, such as calendar and contact items. KB005053
Note: You cannot use the Autodiscover option when migrating from Hosted Exchange environments. If Autodiscover is tried, it will time out, since it will attempt (unsuccessfully) to discover all Public Folders from the top-level root folder, which is protected..