Prepare the Source Environment
- Set up an administrator account for migration on the Source Lotus Notes or Lotus Domino Server. KB005632
- Test administrative access to the mailboxes. KB004211
- Perform mailbox cleanup:
Synchronize users' personal address books on the Lotus Domino server. KB004310
- Mailboxes should be emptied of unneeded/unsupported data:
- Old/unwanted email (this will reduce the time for migration)
- Large attachments (any attachment larger than 150MB will not be migrated)
- Unwanted mailboxes should be archived/deleted according to company compliance policies.
Set up the Lotus Notes Extractor. KB005633
- Lotus Notes contacts are stored locally on the user's hard drive, in a local .nsf file. In order to migrate them, each user must have synchronized their personal address book on the Lotus Domino server before the migration begins.
- We recommend that you send an email to all users with instructions on how to synchronize their personal address books. Provide them the instructions that are in KB004310.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Set up user accounts
- Create an admin account for migration that has full access permissions to all mailboxes. KB004725
Disable throttling against the admin account. Refer to Option 1 in KB004945.
Verify mailbox accessibility, using EWS. KB004304
If you want to be able to migrate messages with attachments larger than 10MB, the following limits need to be increased:
- Set up a remote PowerShell session with Exchange 2010+. KB005111
- To manually grant administrative access for migration, execute the following PowerShell command in the Exchange PowerShell Console:
- Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Add-MailboxPermission -AccessRights FullAccess -Automapping $false -User MigrationWiz
- In the PowerScript script above, change the -User account to match the name of the admin account that was set up for migration.
- Any user account that is a part of the domain administrator, schema administrator, or enterprise administrator groups will not have any administrative rights to mailboxes, no matter how many permissions are granted. A security default of Exchange Server is to explicitly deny any user that is a member of these groups. This is why we recommend creating a new user account specific for migration.
- Increase message size limits. KB004613
- Increase maximum accepted content length. KB004609
- Increase maximum receive message size. KB004532
- Increase maximum accepted request length. This is only valid if your Destination server is running Exchange 2007. KB004610
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro bundle or the MigrationWiz Mailbox and MigrationWiz Document bundle, if you are also migrating Google Drive accounts). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users. Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by either of these options:
- For the Source endpoint: Note: Create separate Source endpoints for each Extractor that you have set up. These will be used when setting up your MigrationWiz projects. You will be setting up one MigrationWiz project per Extractor.
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Lotus Notes 6.5+.
- In the Server Name field, enter the Lotus Extractor Identifier. Note: This was generated in Step 8 of KB005633, when setting up your Lotus Extractor(s).
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type select Exchange Server 2003+.
- Enter the OWA URL KB004392
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials for the account that was set up under the Prepare The Destination Environment of this guide.
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology, because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
- Launch DeploymentPro.
Activate DeploymentPro module for users.
- Go to All Products > DeploymentPro and follow the prompts to launch.
- Select a customer from the list by clicking on the customer name. Note: The status column will show enabled when a customer account has had DMA deployed.
- Configure the customer DeploymentPro module:
- Enter the Domain.
- Select the Destination endpoint.
- Checkmark the Auto-populate box.
- In the Client Interface Configurations section, upload your company logo and add supporting text. Note: We strongly recommend doing this, because this is the logo and text that end users will see in a desktop pop-up when they are prompted to reconfigure their Outlook profiles. If you do not upload your own logo, the default BitTitan logo will be included instead.
- Save and continue.
Schedule the profile cutover date.
- Either select all users (by checkmarking the box to the left of the Primary Email column heading), or select the individual users (by checkmarking the boxes to the left of the user email addresses). Note: You will need to purchase DeploymentPro licenses for each user that will be using DeploymentPro. KB004647
- Click on the Run Module button.
On the profile cutover date, users will be guided through the reconfiguration of their Outlook profile.
- Set the date and time for the Outlook profile configuration to occur, and click on the Run Module button.
- The DeploymentPro module will install on user devices immediately, and then run silently until this date.
- The profile cutover date should be set to a date and time that is shortly after MX record cutover.
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
- Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380 Note: You will create one project per Lotus Extractor.
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. You will use the LotusExtractor.csv that was generated when setting up the Lotus Extractor. KB004290
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
- Set Maximum concurrent migrations. This should be set to 25. Each Lotus Extractor can simultaneously migrate up to 25 mailboxes only.
- Note: If Lotus Notes is configured to use rich text formatting (RTF) by default, you shouuld add the following advanced option setting: LotusDisableRetryOnGetMIMEFailure=1. This ensures proper MIME conversion of the formatted text.
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529.
- Note: If migrating in batches and coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must perform an extra step:
- Set up mail forwarding for Lotus Notes. KB004270
If you are not using DeploymentPro, users must create new Outlook profiles, set up their signatures again, and reattach any PST files that were attached to their previous profile.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- If contacting Support for a Lotus Notes migration issue, you should provide the log files with your support request. The required log files are: LotusExtractor.log, Coordinator.log, Heartbeat.log. These files are located at C:/Users/UserName/AppData/Local/BitTitan/logs, as detailed in KB004301.
- If error messages state that email addresses cannot be resolved at the Source, refer to KB004285.