This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from On-Premises Lotus Notes, or On-Premises Lotus Domino, to On-Premises Microsoft Exchange, versions 2007+. There are a few things you should know before beginning your migration.
Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- Important: MigrationWiz is not a sync tool. Items updated at the Source will not be updated at the Destination. There is no process by which the calendars, contacts, tasks, etc., can be updated after being migrated.
Lotus Notes requires local software installation to use MigrationWiz, as there are no remote APIs for the messaging system. The Lotus Extractor is a small console application (a standalone .exe file) responsible for extracting data from the Domino server and securely streaming this data to the MigrationWiz platform. The steps to install this extractor are included in the Prepare the Source Environment section of this guide. After installing the Lotus Notes Extractor, you can then manage the migration from the MigrationWiz web portal (e.g., to stop/start migrations, view statistics, etc.).
MigrationWiz supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive can view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Set up an administrator account for migration on the Domino server. For more information, see How do I set up an admin account on Lotus Notes or Lotus Domino server?
- Test administrative access to the mailboxes. For more information, see How do I test administrative mailbox access for Lotus Notes?
- Perform mailbox cleanup:
- Mailboxes should be emptied of unneeded/unsupported data:
- Old/unwanted email (this will reduce the time for migration)
- Large attachments (any attachment larger than 150MB will not be migrated)
- Unwanted mailboxes should be archived/deleted according to company compliance policies.
- Mailboxes should be emptied of unneeded/unsupported data:
- Synchronize users' personal address books on the Lotus Domino server. For more information, see How can I synchronize my Lotus Notes contacts on the Lotus Domino server?
- Lotus Notes contacts are stored locally on the users’ hard drive, in a local .nsf file. In order to migrate them, each user must have synchronized their personal address book on the Lotus Domino server before the migration begins.
- We recommend that you send an email to all users with instructions on how to synchronize their personal address books. Provide them the instructions that are in How can I synchronize my Lotus Notes contacts on the Lotus Domino server?.
- Set up the Lotus Notes Extractor. For more information, see How do I set up the Lotus Notes Extractor?
- The Lotus Extractor will require ports 80 and 443 to be open.
- Running the Extractor now will result in a message that the Extractor is unable to find a mailbox connector. This is an expected message and is not a problem for this step.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account in Exchange that has full access to all user mailboxes. For more information, see How do I create an administrator account in Office 365, and then use this during migration?
- Set up user accounts in Exchange.
- Disable throttling against the administrator account. Refer to Option 1 in How do I disable the throttling policy on Exchange?
- Verify mailbox accessibility, using EWS. For more information, see How can I verify mailbox accessibility using EWS?
- If you want to be able to migrate messages with attachments larger than 10MB, the following limits need to be increased:
- Message size limits. For more information, see How do I increase the Exchange message size limits?
- Maximum accepted content length. For more information, see How do I increase the maximum accepted content length?
- Maximum receive message size. For more information, see How do I increase the maximum received message size?
- Maximum accepted request length. This is only valid if your destination server is running Exchange 2007. For more information, see How do I increase the maximum accepted request length?
- Create the Mailbox Migration project. For more information, see How do I create a new migration project?
Note: You will create one project per Lotus Extractor.
- During the project creation, it will be necessary to create the Source and Destination endpoints. For more information, see View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click New > Enter endpoint name > Endpoint type: Lotus Notes 6.5+.
- In the Server Name field, enter the Lotus Extractor Identifier.
- This was generated in Step 8 of How do I set up the Lotus Notes Extractor? when setting up the Source environment.
- Create separate Source endpoints for each Extractor you have set up. These will be used when setting up your MigrationWiz projects. You will be setting up one MigrationWiz project per Extractor.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click New > For endpoint type, select Exchange Server 2003+.
- Enter the OWA URL. For more information, see How do I verify if my OWA URL is correct?
- Click the Provide Credentials radio button and enter the administrator account credentials for the account that was set up under the "Prepare the Destination Environment" section of this guide.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. You will use the LotusExtractor.csv that was generated when setting up the Lotus Extractor. For more information, see How do I perform a bulk import of my Lotus Notes mailboxes?
- 4. Purchase licenses. We recommend that you purchase the User Migration Bundle license for this migration scenario. User Migration Bundle licenses allow you to perform multiple migration types with a single license. Refer to these articles for more information:
- Set the Project Advanced Options. For more information, see What project Advanced Options are available?
The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set Maximum concurrent migrations. This should be set to 15. Each Lotus Extractor can simultaneously migrate up to 15 mailboxes only.
- Add the following in the Support Options:
Note: This is used if Lotus Notes is configured to use rich text formatting (RTF) by default. This ensures proper MIME conversion of the formatted text.
- Run Verify Credentials. For more information, see How do I verify credentials?
- Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send an email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click Start Migration. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also, include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
Note: If migrating in batches and coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must perform an extra step:
- Set up mail forwarding for Lotus Notes. For more information, see How do I set up a forwarding address for Lotus Notes?
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- Run Retry Errors. For more information, see How do I retry failed items?
- Look through the user list and click any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
- If problems persist, contact Support. For options, see How do I get support for your products?
- If contacting Support for a Lotus Notes migration issue, you should provide the log files with your support request. The required log files are LotusExtractor.log, Coordinator.log, and Heartbeat.log. These files are located at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\BitTitan\logs, as detailed in What log files do I need to send in case of a problem with my Lotus Notes migration?
- If error messages state that email addresses cannot be resolved at the source, refer to Why are some email addresses unresolved?
- Click the bar chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. For more information, see How do I request statistics for my migration project?