Public Folder Migration Guide From On-Premises Exchange 2007+ to On-Premises Exchange 2007+ < 50GB
- This is the complete Onboarding Task flow for migrating Public Folders from one On-Premises Exchange 2007+ Public Folder server in one organization to an On-Premises Exchange Public Folder server in another organization.
- This guide should be followed if the total size of the Source Public Folders is less than 50GB. If the Source Public Folders are larger than 50GB, refer to KB005459.
- This guide presumes that hybrid coexistence has not been set up. If working in a hybrid environment, refer to KB005466.
- Complete each step in order. If additional instructions are required, a link to a corresponding Knowledge Base article is provided.
- Estimate of migration speed = 500MB per hour. If total size of Public Folders = 12GB, the project should complete in 24 hours.
- If you experience any throttling on Office 365 during migration, open a ticket with Microsoft support and request reducing throttling.
- Due to a code defect in Exchange 2010, timestamps will not be preserved for Public Folders at the Destination. KB005159
Prepare Source Exchange Environment:
- Set elevated 'Organization Management' admin role to migrating admin account (this grants permission to all necessary read-only fields). KB004788
- Ensure migrating admin account has permission on all Public Folders (owner access rights need to be permitted to the account being used for migration). KB005103
- Split up large Public Folders. If any Public Folders contain more than 20,000 items (if Source = Exchange 2007), or 100,000 items (if Source = Exchange 2010 or later), these should be split into multiple Public Folders. This will speed up your migration. KB005526
Prepare Destination Exchange Environment:
- Create a top-level Public Folder on the Destination.
- Grant administrator account (account that is being used for migration) full owner permissions to the root Public Folder at the Destination. KB005103
- Enable remote PowerShell on the Destination Exchange server (this is important, so that MigrationWiz can mail-enable the Public Folders during migration). KB005111
- Create customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints (select Exchange 2003+ as the endpoint type, for both the Source and Destination endpoints). KB005427
- Launch Public Folder migration (select All Products/Public Folder Migration).
- Set up Project (create Public Folder project/Name project and select MSPComplete customer/Select Source endpoint/Select Destination endpoint).
- Add Public Folders (select Add/Quick Add and enter a forward slash ( / ) within the field labeled Root Folder Path). This is recommended because it will migrate all Public Folders, and you will only need one Public Folder license per 10GB of data, regardless of the number of top-level Public Folders. If you use AutoDiscover and import Public Folders, each top-level folder will consume one Public Folder license. KB004914
- Set Project Advanced Options KB004834
- Set value for Licensing/Maximum licenses to consume per item per pass licensing count. Default = 1. This allows up to 10GB to be migrated. Example: If migrating all Public Folders, using a forward slash ( / ), and the total data size = 39GB, increase this value to 4 (otherwise the migration will pause at 10GB). KB004890
- Add RemoveFilterBasedOnFolderType=1 under Support/Support options. This flag is required if Public Folders contain items other than mail, such as calendar and contact items. KB005053
- Set Preferred BitTitan Data Center. For fastest migration speeds, select the Data Center that is closest to your Destination customer environment. KB004268
- Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
- Purchase Public Folder licenses. KB004647
- To obtain an estimate of the number of Public Folder migration licenses required for your migration project, follow the directions in KB005791.
- Perform Full Migration pass (put a checkmark in the box next to Root Path, select the Start button > select Full Migration from the drop-down list > click on the Start Migration button). KB004938
- Perform a final Full Migration pass using the Advanced Option AllowAllMailboxTypesForPFPermissions=1 in order to migrate all Security Group Permissions. If you do not run the second pass, none of the Security Group Permissions will migrate.
- Receive migration statistics (click on the pie chart on the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics). KB004626