Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 in your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. KB005019
Enable API Access. Log in to Google Admin portal > Security > API Reference > checkmark the Enable API Access button. Note: This extra step is mandatory when migrating from Google Drive.
Export mailboxes to CSV file(s). From Google Admin portal > Click Users > Click on ⁝ (3 vertical dots) > Download Users > Download All Users > Click OK > Save.
If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat these steps for each domain.
Under Authorized API clients > Client Name > Enter: 118005701438129985126
Under One or more API Scopes, enter the scope for G Suite (read-only scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts. If a G Suite tenant is a G Suite for Business Legacy free account, end user credentials must be used. Refer to KB005124 for more information on migrating with end user credentials.
Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
Prepare the Destination Environment
Create an administrator account on Box to be used for migration. KB005080
- Set up accounts on Box. More details can be found here.
Set up groups on the Destination. If permissions were assigned to groups on the Source, and you want these to be migrated, the group names on the Destination must match the group names on the Source. KB004843. More details on creating and managing groups on Box can be found here.
If you are not using Box.com admin credentials, let users know they will receive an email during migration, requesting their Box.com credentials. If using Box.com admin credentials, skip this step, since users will not be receiving an email. Note: To use Box.com admin credentials, there must be a Box.com Business account with a minimum of three (3) seats in the account.
- Important: If you are migrating permissions, the part of the usernames before the "@" sign on your Destination must match the part of the username on your Source before the "@" sign, e.g., email@example.com on the Source must follow the same format before the @ sign on the Destination, and so must also equal "john.smith" on the Destination. The domain name, however, can be different. KB004843
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive.
- Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Run an assessment to calculate the number of licenses required for your migration. KB005237
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Purchase Document Migration licenses. KB004647
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their Google Drive accounts, because any modifications will not be included in the migration.
Perform the migration using one of the following strategies:
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint (Google Drive) > Select the Destination endpoint (Box). At the Authorization tab, click on the Request Access Token button. Within the Box - API Request Authorization page, enter the email address and password for the Box admin account, and click on the Allow button on the next screen.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- For small- to medium-sized migration projects that have less than 250 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, Full pass migration.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- For large migration projects that have more than 250 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.
- Notify users once the migration has completed. Note: If you set the MigrationWiz Advanced Option for Notifications, they will receive an email upon migration completion. Assist them with setting up access to their Box accounts.
- Provide training to your users on Box.