- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Google Drive to Box.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The Source must be a paid version of Google Drive. Free Google Drive accounts are not a supported Source.
- Items and folders in "Shared with Me" will not be migrated. Only items in "My Drive" will be migrated. To migrate "Shared with Me" items, they must be added to "My Drive".
- MigrationWiz now supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive are able to view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 in your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. For guidance, see Enable access to G Suite using OAuth 2.0.
- If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat the steps for each domain.
- OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts. If a G Suite tenant is a G Suite for Business Legacy free account, end user credentials must be used. Refer to KB005124 for more information on migrating with end user credentials.
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
- Enable API Access. Log in to Google Admin portal > Security > API Reference > checkmark the Enable API Access button.
Note: This extra step is mandatory when migrating from Google Drive.
- Export mailboxes to CSV file(s). From Google Admin portal > Click Users > Click ⁝ (3 vertical dots) > Download Users > Download All Users > Click OK > Save.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account on Box to be used for migration. KB005080
- Set up accounts on Box. More details can be found here.
Important: If you are migrating permissions, the part of the usernames before the "@" sign on your Destination must match the part of the username on your Source before the "@" sign, e.g., email@example.com on the Source must follow the same format before the @ sign on the Destination, and so must also equal "john.smith" on the Destination. The domain name, however, can be different. KB004843
- Set up groups on the Destination. If permissions were assigned to groups on the Source, and you want these to be migrated, the group names on the Destination must match the group names on the Source. KB004843. More details on creating and managing groups on Box can be found here.
- If you are not using Box.com admin credentials, let users know they will receive an email during migration, requesting their Box.com credentials. If using Box.com admin credentials, skip this step, since users will not be receiving an email.
Note: To use Box.com admin credentials, there must be a Box.com Business account with a minimum of three (3) seats in the account.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive.
- Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process.
- For the Source endpoint:
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint (Google Drive) > Select the Destination endpoint (Box). At the Authorization tab, click the Request Access Token button. Within the Box - API Request Authorization page, enter the email address and password for the Box admin account, and click the Allow button on the next screen.
InitializationTimeout=28800000- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
FolderLimit=20000- This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Notifications > Send successful migration and notification to: > Source email address (if users are still using G Suite Gmail) or Destination email address (if users have already migrated from the G Suite Gmail platform).
- Customize the notification email. Put a checkmark in the Customize "successful migration" email box. Add your own customization text and company name to this email.
Note: Notifications should only be set up before the final pass. If performing a single, Full pass, set this up now. If you are following a Pre-stage migration strategy, only set this up prior to the final Full (Delta) pass.
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will stop at 10GB, and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum number of licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- Set the Advanced Option to send a notification to end users after the migration pass completes.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. KB004938
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. KB004938
- For small- to medium-sized migration projects that have less than 250 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, Full pass migration.
- For large migration projects that have more than 250 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
- To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.
- Notify users once the migration has completed.
Note: If you set the MigrationWiz Advanced Option for Notifications, they will receive an email upon migration completion. Assist them with setting up access to their Box accounts.
- Provide training to your users on Box.