vCenter Connection Error Messages
Following is a series of error messages that you may encounter when establishing a connection to your vCenter computer. These errors fall into the following categories:
- HTTP or TCP connection failures
- Malformed IP address
- Agent Proxy is already installed
- To troubleshoot HTTP or TCP connection failures, see Troubleshooting an Agent TCP or HTTPS Server Connection Failure (kb005513).
- Malformed IP address can throw any number of errors, including incorrect port number. Check to ensure that you have entered the correct port number and IP address to your vCenter computer.
Note: The correct format for an IP address is A.B.C.D., where A, B, C, and D are each integer values ranging from 0 through 255.
- Allowable port numbers are 443, 22, and 80. Port 443 is the preferred port number.
If you receive an error or warning to the effect that the proxy is already installed, this most likely means that the proxy installer was supposed to target a different vCenter. Each proxy installer (.msi) file is bound to one specific vCenter.