- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Box to Dropbox.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The Box to Dropbox document migration walk-through video provides a quick demonstration of how you can easily migrate documents from Box to Dropbox Business using the steps in this migration guide.
- MigrationWiz now supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive are able to view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare Source Environment (Box)
- Create a Box user account that will be used for the migration, and grant main admin privileges to that user. Read the How do I create an administrator account in Box to be used for migration? article for more information.
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. You can do this by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. Steps: From the admin console, click the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click Export Users. Read the How do I export users from Box? article for more information.
Prepare Destination Environment (Dropbox)
- Create a Dropbox user account that will be used for the migration, and grant team admin privileges to the user. Follow the instructions in the Add Tiered Admins article from Dropbox.
- Create the new Dropbox user accounts. Follow the instructions in the Invite your Team article from Dropbox.
Note: You must wait for all new users to accept their Dropbox invitations before starting the migration.
- Create the customer. Read the View, Add, and Edit Your Customers article for more information.
- Create the Box Source and Dropbox Destination endpoints. Read the View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints article for more information.
- Purchase licenses. We recommend that you purchase the User Migration Bundle license for this migration scenario. User Migration Bundle licenses allow you to perform multiple migrations of User mailboxes, documents, and personal archives, plus Google coexistence configuration, and allows the use of DeploymentPro to perform post-migration Outlook email profile configuration. Refer to these articles for more information:
- Create the Document Migration project. Read the How do I set up a document migration project in MSPComplete? article for more information.
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint (Box) > Select Destination endpoint (Dropbox).
Note: You will be prompted to enter admin credentials for the Source (Box) and Destination (Dropbox) endpoints.
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will stop at 10GB and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, then only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. Read the How do I enable consumption of multiple licenses for a single item? article for more information.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
InitializationTimeout=28800000- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. Read the Cannot get folders from My Drive article for more information.
FolderLimit=20000- This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. Read the How do I increase the folder limit for document migrations? article for more information.
- For small migration projects that are less than 50 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. Read the How do I start a migration? article for more information.
- For large migration projects that are more than 50 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple pass migration.
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click Start Migration. Read the How do I start a migration? article for more information.
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, and select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. Read the How do I start a migration? article for more information.
- Important: Recent changes to the Dropbox APIs prevent us from adding watermarks on files in the Destination Dropbox accounts. Therefore, if you perform a partial migration, reset the items in MigrationWiz, and then perform the migration again, you will end up with duplicate files at the Destination. If you must rerun the migration, we recommend that you first delete all files already migrated to the Destination Dropbox accounts.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.