- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from OneDrive for Business to Dropbox.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- MigrationWiz now supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive are able to view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Note: Unfortunately, we no longer support migrations to or from GoDaddy hosted OneDrive.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create a OneDrive for Business user account that will be used for the migration, and give it main global administrator privileges or use the existing global administrator account that was set up at the time the Office 365 tenant was created. Read the How do I create an administrator account in Office 365, and then use this during migration? for more information.
Note: We highly recommend that you use an administrator account that isn’t one of the users being migrated.
- Export the list of OneDrive for Business user accounts to a CSV file. This can be used when adding users to Dropbox, and when adding users into your MigrationWiz project dashboard. Read the View, Add, and Edit Customer's Users for more information.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create the Dropbox Business account and purchase Dropbox licenses.
- Create a Dropbox user account that will be used for the migration, and grant this account appropriate team admin privileges. Follow the instructions in the Add Tiered Admins guide from Dropbox.
- Use the list of OneDrive for Business user accounts in the CSV file, to recreate them in the new Dropbox Business account. Follow the instructions in the Invite your Team guide from Dropbox.
Note: Users must accept the invitations before their accounts are created at Dropbox. You must wait for the team to accept the invitations before starting the migration, or the migration will fail.
- Create the customer. Read the View, Add, and Edit Your Customers for more information.
- Create the OneDrive for Business and Dropbox endpoints.
- For the OneDrive for Business endpoint, select OneDrive for Business as the endpoint type, and enter the global admin account and password in the appropriate fields.
- For Dropbox, select Dropbox as the endpoint type, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process. Read the View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints for more information.
- Create the Document Migration project. Read the How do I set up a migration project? for more information.
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint (OneDrive for Business) > Select the Destination endpoint (Dropbox). At the Authorization tab, click the Request Access Token button. On the page entitled 'Dropbox -API Request Authorization', enter the email address and password for the Dropbox admin account, and click the Allow button at the next screen.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
InitializationTimeout=8- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. Read the Cannot get folders from My Drive for more information.
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- BitTitan has no limitations to the number of folders per migration. Any folder limits will be set by Microsoft.
- Full Migration strategy. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- For small migration projects that are less than 50 users, we recommend a Full Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- Pre-Stage Migration Strategy:
- Pre-Stage pass. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- Full (Delta) pass. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- For large migration projects that are more than 50 users, we recommend Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
Important: Recent changes to the Dropbox APIs prevent us from adding watermarks on files in the Destination Dropbox accounts. Therefore, if you perform a partial migration, reset the items in MigrationWiz, and then perform the migration again, you will end up with duplicate files at the Destination. If you must rerun the migration, we recommend that you first delete all files already migrated to the Destination Dropbox accounts.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their OneDrive for Business accounts, decommission the OneDrive for Business user accounts, or change their passwords.