|Notice: This Knowledge Base article pertains specifically to the DeploymentPro (legacy) product, and not to the DeploymentPro product that is part of MSPComplete or DeploymentPro for UserActivation.|
Use this checklist as guidance to help plan and complete the migration to Office 365, when using MigrationWiz in conjunction with DeploymentPro.
Note: DeploymentPro has the following prerequisites:
- The Destination system must equal Microsoft Office 365, On-Premises Exchange 2007+ (all versions of Microsoft Exchange server, that are version 2007 or later), or Hosted Exchange (all versions that are within a hosted environment).
- Admin credentials on the Destination system are required.
- Provision users in Office 365.
- Create and Configure a mailbox Project.
- Associate all of the mailboxes to the mailbox project. Mailboxes can be created manually through the MigrationWiz portal, or by importing a CSV formatted spreadsheet (downloadable through the MigrationWiz portal), or, if there are admin credentials at the Source, by using our Autodiscover tool to import the users. If the Office 365 addresses are in a different format from the Source addresses, amend these by either individually (by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of each mailbox), or by editing the CSV file with the correct Destination email addresses, prior to importing.
- Perform a free trial migration. (Optional. If used, this will verify credentials, create the mailbox folder structure, and migrate a small number of items into each folder. When the Full migration begins, it will then keep this structure and begin where the trial ended).
- Migrate the largest mailbox, using MigrationWiz to perform a speed test (optional). This requires the purchase of a mailbox license.
- Calculate and size migration (Optional)
- Notify users that their mailboxes will be moving to a new system.
- Purchase migration licenses.
Note: The purchase licenses interface is accessed by clicking on the $ icon at the top right of your MigrationWiz portal.
One week before cutover:
- Notify users that the migration is imminent.
- Verify mailbox access by submitting mailboxes for migration using Verify Credentials.
- Perform initial Migration Pass. Follow the directions in the Knowledge Base article KB004691. Note: The most popular strategy to follow is the Pre-Stage Migration strategy. See related articles at the bottom of this page to access a link to this Knowledge Base article. If performing a Big Bang Migration (this is only recommended for small migrations), this step is not required.
- Click on the DeploymentPro link in the MigrationWiz portal, and finalize the list of users in DeploymentPro.
- Set the DeploymentPro install location (options include: via email from the shared local network location, via email from BitTitan servers, or via Group Policy), and customize the email, password settings, and specify a logo/tagline. Note: The quickest and easiest method to follow is via email from BitTitan servers.
- Confirm DeploymentPro install location settings. Note: If the install method is via email, this triggers an email to end users containing the install instructions for the DeploymentPro agent.
- If the install method is via email, users receive the email and install the agent. If install method is via Group Policy, then it will be a silent install.
One day before cutover:
- Notify users that the migration will occur tomorrow.
Day of migration:
- Cutover mail flows to the new system. Change MX records to point to Office 365. The DNS information can be obtained from the Office 365 Admin Portal. Note: If migrating only a subset of users, set up mailbox forwarding/co-existence.
- Wait for cutover information to propagate.
- Wait for the forwarding duration to complete (if performing a coexistence migration).
- Wait for the TTL expiration of MX records (look up TTL by using MX Toolbox).
- Initiate the migration (or Delta migration if an initial pass has previously been performed).
- If migrating from Hosted Exchange provider, then create and run GPO to delete the customer specific auto discover record registry key
- Within the DeploymentPro portal, click on the Configure Outlook button. When the user is logged on, they will see a pop-up which guides them through the setup of their Outlook profile.
Day after migration:
- Perform a Delta migration to pick up any residual mail. Optional, but recommended since it will migrate any lingering email that was still routed to the old Source email platform.
- Notify users that the migration is complete.
- Check if any mailboxes have migration errors and perform the error resolution steps described with each error. Note: To migrate failed items, submit mailboxes for migration using the mode: Retry Mailbox Migration Errors.