Prepare the Source Environment
- Set up an administrator account for migration on the Source Lotus Notes or Lotus Domino Server. KB005632
- Test administrative access to the mailboxes. KB004211
- Perform mailbox cleanup:
- Mailboxes should be emptied of unneeded/unsupported data:
Synchronize users' personal address books on the Lotus Domino server. KB004310
- Old/unwanted email (this will reduce the time for migration)
- Large attachments (any attachment larger than 150MB will not be migrated)
- Unwanted mailboxes should be archived/deleted according to company compliance policies.
Set up the Lotus Notes Extractor. KB005633
- Lotus Notes contacts are stored locally on the users hard drive, in a local .nsf file. In order to migrate them, each user must have synchronized their personal address book on the Lotus Domino server before the migration begins.
- We recommend that you send an email to all users with instructions on how to synchronize their personal address books. Provide them the instructions that are in KB004310.
Prepare the Destination Environment
Prepare the tenant to send and receive large mail items. KB005139
Contact Microsoft to ask to have the tenant EWS throttling limits raised for 60 days. Note: This step is only required if your Source environment will support migration speeds that are faster than the Destination. KB005493
Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
Set up accounts on Office 365 and assign licenses. These can be created in several ways:
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro bundle or the MigrationWiz Mailbox and MigrationWiz Document bundle, if you are also migrating Google Drive accounts). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users. Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by these options:
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
HealthCheck for Office 365 Steps
- Go all All Products > HealthCheck for Office 365 and follow the prompts to launch.
- Select a customer from the list by clicking on the customer name. Note: The status column will show enabled when a customer account has had DMA deployed.
- Review results. Note: If any computers have a red X on their row, you should review the detailed results by clicking on the pie chart in the far right-hand part of the row.
- Include upgrading action items and costs in your Statement of Work.
- Perform remediation steps.
- Launch DeploymentPro.
Go to All Products > DeploymentPro and follow the prompts to launch.
Select a customer from the list by clicking on the customer name. Note: The status column will show enabled when a customer account has had DMA deployed.
Configure the customer DeploymentPro module:
- Enter the Domain.
- Select the Destination endpoint.
- Checkmark the Auto-populate box.
- In the Client Interface Configurations section, upload your company logo and add supporting text. Note: We strongly recommend doing this, because this is the logo and text that end users will see in a desktop pop-up when they are prompted to reconfigure their Outlook profiles. If you do not upload your own logo, the default BitTitan logo will be included instead.
- Save and continue.
Activate DeploymentPro module for users.
Either select all users (by putting a checkmark in the box to the left of the Primary Email column heading), or select the individual users (by putting a checkmark in the boxes to the left of the user email addresses). Note: DeploymentPro requires licenses to be purchased before it can be used. Subscriptions include DeploymentPro. However, if you are not using subscriptions, and you are using mailbox licenses, you must purchase additional DeploymentPro licenses in order to use DeploymentPro.
Click on the Run Module button.
Schedule the profile cutover date.
On the profile cutover date, users will be guided through the reconfiguration of their Outlook profile.
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380 Note: You will create one project per Lotus Extractor.
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. You will use the LotusExtractor.csv that was generated when setting up the Lotus Extractor. KB004290
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529.
- The following options are most valuable for this migration scenario:
Set Maximum concurrent migrations. This should be set to 25. Each Lotus Extractor can simultaneously migrate up to 25 mailboxes only.
Set the project to use impersonation at Destination. Checkmark the Use impersonation at Destination box. KB004727
- Note: If Lotus Notes is configured to use rich text formatting (RTF) by default, you should add the following advanced option setting: LotusDisableRetryOnGetMIMEFailure=1. This ensures proper MIME conversion of the formatted text.
If not using DeploymentPro, users must create new Outlook profiles, and set up their signatures again, and reattach any PST files that were attached to their previous profile.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- If contacting support for a Lotus Notes migration issue, you should provide the log files with your support request. The required log files are: LotusExtractor.log, Coordinator.log, Heartbeat.log. These files are located at C:/Users/UserName/AppData/Local/BitTitan/logs, as detailed in KB004301.
- If error message states that email addresses cannot be resolved at the Source, refer to KB004285.