Office 365 to G Suite Migration Guide
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from Office 365 to G Suite.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The MSPComplete section includes steps to deploy the Device Management Agent (DMA) to end users. This is an Agent which includes multiple modules, e.g., for HealthCheck for Office 365 and DeploymentPro. This migration scenario does not require installing DMA. However, BitTitan will be adding several modules to DMA in the future, and these will be important to power MSPComplete feeds (which will provide further information to you, in the future, about upsell and cross-sell opportunities).
Prepare Source Exchange Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
- Export the user list to a CSV file. This can be used when bulk-adding users to your MigrationWiz project later. You can copy and paste the user list into the Source and Destination Email column in your MigrationWiz project dashboard under Add > Bulk Add. Steps: From Office 365 admin portal > Users > Active Users > Export > Continue.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create users on G Suite. Refer to the G Suite admin help article here.
- Grant MigrationWiz OAuth 2.0 access to G Suite. KB005019
- If migrating to multiple domains, repeat these steps for each domain.
- G Suite as Destination (full scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro Bundle). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users (optional). Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by these options:
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Office 365.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. Note: This should be a global admin account. If creating a separate admin account for the purpose of migration, refer to the Office 365 section in KB004725.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select G Suite/Gmail.
- It is necessary to add ALL domains that will be migrated to. This means that if there are users in one project with domain names Sourcedomain.com and Destinationdomain.com, then it is important to ensure that both of these are added under Your Domains, when creating the endpoints. When you add a domain, you need to click on the "+" button.
- Enter Administrative email address. Note: This is the account that has admin access level to the Google admin portal.
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology, because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
- Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
Add the accounts (also referred to as items) that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
If users will be using Microsoft Outlook with G Suite, they will need to follow the instructions here, to download and install G Suite Sync for Outlook and create a new Outlook profile that connects to G Suite.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- The following options are most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set to use impersonation at the Source. Checkmark the Use impersonation at Source box. KB004727
- If this is a large migration project, then the value for Maximum concurrent migrations, under the Performance section, can be set to a very high value, e.g., 250. Note: There is no limit for this value (for cloud to cloud migrations), if using impersonation.
- Add folder mapping: FolderMapping="^INBOX/->" under Support/Support options. Note: This will map folders to the root label on the Destination mailboxes, rather than under inbox/labelname. KB005068