Prepare Source Environment
- Create a Box user account that will be used for the migration, and grant main or co-admin privileges to the user. KB005080
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. You can do this by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. Steps: From the admin console, click on the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click on Export Users. KB005553
Prepare Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948 Important: The admin account must have a full license assigned to it, in order to be able to provision OneDrive profiles for each user during the migration process. KB005537
Set up accounts on Office 365, and assign licenses. These can be created in several ways.
- MigrationWiz will provision a OneDrive (SharePoint) profile for each user being migrated. However, it does not create the user accounts; they need to have already been created.
- MigrationWiz cannot provision a OneDrive profile for blocked users. If a user is blocked, this will result in a provisioning or access error.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Box Source and Office 365 Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click Purchase > Document Migration > Select MigrationWiz-Document and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box.
- Leave the radio button checked for Provide Credentials.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select OneDrive for Business.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the administrator username and password in the fields.
- Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and Document bundle). KB004647
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the accounts (items) that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint.
- Click the Save button. This will take you back to the Authorization page. Click the Request Access Token button. Enter the email address of the Box.com administrator, and the password of this Box.com account. Click the Authorize button. Click on Grant Access to Box. Once the Source Authorization completes, clickSave Project.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Purchase Document Migration licenses. KB004647
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users letting them know the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their Box accounts, because any modifications will not be included in the migration.
Perform the migration using one of the following strategies:
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will pause at 10GB and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, then only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- InitializationTimeout=28800000 - This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
- FolderLimit=20000 - This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
- RenameConflictingFiles=1- This automatically rename the files that have the same name. This will rename the files to their original file names, followed by an unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. KB005006.
- Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- For small migration projects that have less than 50 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. KB004938
- For large migration projects that have more than 50 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple pass migration.
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. KB004938
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.