This is the complete task flow for migrating folders and documents from Box to OneDrive for Business. Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided. The Destination must be OneDrive for Business, not the personal OneDrive version.
Note: Microsoft is changing its connectors. SharePoint and OneDrive endpoints will now have the potential to be heavily throttled. To avoid potential migration slowdowns, BitTitan recommends using the v2 endpoint for OneDrive for Business. To use the v2 connector, follow this guide: Box to OneDrive for Business v2 Migration Guide.
If migrating to an Office 365 Small Business Tenant account, the processes will be very similar. However, you will not be able to use administrator credentials for your Destination endpoint and will instead be using end user credentials. For more information, see Why does my Document Migration keep failing with Office 365 Small Business Tenant?
Note: We no longer support migrations to or from GoDaddy-hosted OneDrive.
MigrationWiz is a migration solution (not a synchronization solution) and will NOT propagate updates, deletes, or moves of items previously migrated because we do not have “live” monitoring of changes (as with a sync agent) and we cannot handle scenarios such as conflict resolution without user interaction.
MigrationWiz supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. When the Project Sharing feature is turned on, all Agents besides those who are Inactive can view all migrations projects.
Prepare Source Environment
- Create a new Box user account for the migration and grant main administrator privileges to that user. For more information, see Transferring Admin Privileges to Another User.
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. This can be done by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. Box has instructions to run various reports on this page. It may also be possible to use these instructions: From the administrator console, click the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click Export Users.
Prepare Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration or use the global administrator account for the tenant. For more information, see How do I create an administrator account in Office 365, and then use this during migration?
Important: The administrator account must have a full Office 365 license assigned to it in order to provision OneDrive profiles for each user during the migration process. For more information, see Personal Site is not instantiated = PermissionsUserNotLicensed.
- Set up App-based Authentication. For specific instructions, see App-Based Authentication.
- Set up accounts on Office 365 and assign licenses. These can be created in several ways.
- MigrationWiz can provision a OneDrive (SharePoint) profile for each user being migrated, if the user does not already have a OneDrive profile created. However, it does not create the user accounts; they need to have already been created.
- MigrationWiz cannot provision OneDrive profiles for blocked users. If a user is blocked, this will result in a provisioning or access error.
- Create a Document Migration project. Read the How do I create a new migration project? article for more information.
- Create the Box Source and Office 365 Destination endpoints. For more information, see View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints.
- When setting up the Box endpoint, leave the radio button for Provide Credentials selected.
- The OneDrive for Business endpoint will be set up using the App-based Authentication created during the Prepare the Destination steps.
- After creating the project, click the Save button. This will take you back to the Authorization page. Click the Request Access Token button. Enter the email address of the Box.com administrator, and the password of this Box.com account. Click the Authorize button. Click Grant Access to Box. Once the Source Authorization completes, click Save Project.
- Purchase User Migration Bundle licenses. User Migration Bundle licenses allow multiple types of migrations to be performed with a single license. Refer to these articles for more information:
- Add the accounts (items) that will be migrated to the project. For more information, see How do I add items to my migration project?
- Set the Project Advanced Options.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
InitializationTimeout=8- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. For more information, see Cannot get folders from My Drive.
RenameConflictingFiles=1- This automatically renames any files that have the same name. The files will be renamed using their original file names, followed by a unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. For more information, see How do I migrate multiple files with the same name into OneDrive?
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- If the migration project is a long-term project, it may be necessary to add an additional Advanced Option for use during the final migration pass to verify the contents of previously migrated items. For more information, contact Support.
- BitTitan has no limitations to the number of folders per migration. Any folder limits will be set by Microsoft.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- Run Verify Credentials. For more information, see How do I verify credentials?
- Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send an email to all users letting them know the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their Box accounts, as any modifications will not be included in the migration.
- Perform the migration, using one of the following strategies:
- Full Migration strategy.
- strategy. This is a single-pass migration.
- Pre-Stage Migration Strategy:
- For large migration projects that are more than 50 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
- Pre-Stage pass.
- Full (Delta) pass.
- Full Migration strategy.
- Click the bar chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. Read the How do I request statistics for my migration project? for more information.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.