- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Box to OneDrive for Business.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The Destination must be OneDrive for Business, not the personal OneDrive version.
- If migrating to an Office 365 Small Business Tenant account, the processes will be very similar. However, you will not be able to use admin credentials for your Destination endpoint, and will instead be using end user credentials. KB004886.
Note: Unfortunately, we no longer support migrations to or from GoDaddy hosted OneDrive.
- MigrationWiz now supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. Migration projects are no longer tied to individual accounts, they are tied to Workgroups. When Workgroup Administrators turn on the Project Sharing feature, all Agents besides those who are Inactive are able to view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare Source Environment
- Create a Box user account that will be used for the migration, and grant main admin privileges to that user. KB005080
- Create a list of the Box user accounts that need to be migrated from the Source. You can do this by exporting the list of Box user accounts to a CSV file. Steps: From the admin console, click the Users and Groups icon. Under the Managed Users tab, click Export Users. KB005553
Prepare Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
Important: The admin account must have a full license assigned to it, in order to be able to provision OneDrive profiles for each user during the migration process. KB005537
- Set up accounts on Office 365, and assign licenses. These can be created in several ways.
- Manually, one at a time.
- By bulk import, via CSV file. Microsoft instructions
- By PowerShell script. TechNet article
- By DirSync, AAD Sync or AAD connect. KB004336
- MigrationWiz will provision a OneDrive (SharePoint) profile for each user being migrated. However, it does not create the user accounts; they need to have already been created.
- MigrationWiz cannot provision a OneDrive profile for blocked users. If a user is blocked, this will result in a provisioning or access error.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Box Source and Office 365 Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box.
- Leave the radio button checked for Provide Credentials.
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select OneDrive for Business.
- Click the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the administrator username and password in the fields.
- For the Source endpoint:
- For the Destination endpoint:
Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and Document bundle). KB004647
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint.
- Click the Save button. This will take you back to the Authorization page. Click the Request Access Token button. Enter the email address of the Box.com administrator, and the password of this Box.com account. Click the Authorize button. Click Grant Access to Box. Once the Source Authorization completes, clickSave Project.
InitializationTimeout=28800000- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
RenameConflictingFiles=1- This automatically rename the files that have the same name. This will rename the files to their original file names, followed by an unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. KB005006.
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- BitTitan has no limitations to the number of Folders per migration. Any folder limits will be set by Microsoft.
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will stop at 10GB and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, then only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. KB004938
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click the Start button from the top, and select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. KB004938
- For small migration projects that have less than 50 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- For large migration projects that have more than 50 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple pass migration.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Box accounts, decommission the Box user accounts, or change their passwords.