Prepare the Source Environment
- Create a OneDrive for Business user account that will be used for the migration, and give it main global administrator privileges or use the existing global administrator account that was set up at the time the Office 365 tenant was created. KB004948
Note: We highly recommend that you use an administrator account that isn’t one of the users being migrated.
- Export the list of OneDrive for Business user accounts to a CSV file. This can be used when adding users to Box, and when adding users into your MigrationWiz project dashboard. KB004519
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account on Box to be used for migration. KB005080
- Set up accounts on Box. More details can be found here.
Important: If you are migrating permissions, the part of the usernames before the "@" sign on your Destination must match the part of the username on your Source before the "@" sign, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org on the Source must follow the same format before the @ sign on the Destination, and so must also equal "john.smith" on the Destination. The domain name, however, can be different. KB004843
- Set up groups on the Destination. If permissions were assigned to groups on the Source, and you want these to be migrated, the group names on the Destination must match the group names on the Source. KB004843. More details on creating and managing groups on Box can be found here.
- If you are not using Box.com admin credentials, let users know they will receive an email during migration, requesting their Box.com credentials. If using Box.com admin credentials, skip this step, since users will not be receiving an email. Note: To use Box.com admin credentials, there must be a Box.com Business account with a minimum of three (3) seats in the account.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select OneDrive for Business, and enter the global admin account and password in the appropriate fields.
Important: The domain name of the admin account must match the domain name of the user accounts that will be added to the project in MigrationWiz. Otherwise, the OneDrive for Business profiles cannot be created during migration, and permissions will not be migrated. For example, do not add the admin account with the onmicrosoft.com domain name if the users will be entered with a vanity domain name.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Box, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Set Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint (OneDrive for Business) > Select the Destination endpoint (Box). At the Authorization tab, click on the Request Access Token button. On the page entitled 'Boxox -API Request Authorization', enter the email address and password for the Box admin account, and click on the Allow button on the next screen.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Purchase Document Migration licenses. KB004647
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their OneDrive for Business accounts, because any modifications will not be included in the migration.
Perform the migration using one of the following strategies:
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will pause at 10GB, and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- InitializationTimeout=28800000 - This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
- FolderLimit=20000 - This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Set the Advanced Option to send a notification to end users after the migration pass completes.
- Notifications > Send successful migration and notification to: > Source email address (if users are still using Source email systeml) or Destination email address (if users have already migrated to the Destination email system).
- Customize the notification email. Checkmark the Customize "successful migration" email box. Add your own customization text and company name to this email.
- Note: Notifications should only be set up before the final pass. If performing a single, Full pass, set this up now. If you are following a Pre-stage migration strategy, only set this up prior to the final Full (Delta) pass.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- For small migration projects that have less than 500 users, we recommend a Big Bang Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- For large migration projects that have more than 500 users, we recommend a Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
- Steps for a Pre-Stage Migration:
- Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
- To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their OneDrive for Business accounts, decommisson the OneDrive for Business user accounts, or change their passwords.
- Notify users once the migration has completed. Note: If you set the MigrationWiz Advanced Option for Notifications, they will receive an email upon migration completion. Assist them with setting up access to their Box accounts.
- Provide training to your end users on Box.