AWS S3 to Azure Blob Storage Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, click the waffle icon () in the top navigation bar of MSPComplete, and select the appropriate migration product.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating data from AWS S3 storage to Azure blob storage.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
Prepare the Source Environment
Create an account with AWS S3 read-only access.
- When creating the user account, there is a tab labeled Attach existing policies directly. This contains a policy named AmazonS3ReadOnlyAccess. This is the policy that needs to be attached to this user account. KB005203
- When creating this account, the final page will show the Access Key ID and Secret Access Key. Note: In order for the Secret Assess Key to be displayed, you need to click on Show. Important: Write down the key, or download the key file to your computer before you press "Close" or "Cancel"; otherwise, you will not be able to retrieve the Secret Key in the future. Later, if you cannot retrieve the Secret Key, you will have to delete the Keys you created, and then create new Keys.
- The Access Key ID and the Secret Access Key need to be entered when creating your MSPComplete Source endpoint.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Buy an Azure subscription. KB004996
- Create an Azure storage account. Note: This information will be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint. KB004832
- To obtain your Access Key: Log on to the Azure portal > Dashboard > All Resources > All subscriptions > Click on Storage Account name > Settings > Access Key. Note: Make a note of the Storage Account Name and the Primary Access key. These will need to be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click Purchase > Cloud Storage Migration > Select MigrationWiz-Cloud Storage, and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter the endpoint name > For the endpoint type, select Amazon S3.
- Enter the AWS Access Key ID and AWS Secret Access Key in the fields provided. Note: These were generated and obtained when following the steps in this guide under Prepare Source Environment.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter the endpoint name > For the endpoint type, select Azure Blob.
- Enter the Storage Account Name and Access Key in the fields provided. Note: These were created and obtained when following the steps in this guide under Prepare the Destination Environment.
- Steps to see how much storage has been used on S3: Open Account -> Account activity: https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html?ie=UTF8&action=activity-summary > Click on the [+] button near the Amazon Simple Storage Service and you will see detailed statistics for storage used, bandwidth, and requests.
- Purchase enough licenses to cover your migration. Each license allows up to 10GB of data per bucket to be migrated. Therefore, if you have two (2) AWS S3 buckets, one with 45GB of data, and one with 58GB of data, then you need a total of 11 licenses: 5 licenses for the first bucket, and 6 licenses for the second.
- Create the Cloud Storage Migration project. KB005070
Add items to the project: Select Quick Add, and specify the container (bucket) name for the Source, and the container name for the Destination. Repeat for each container (bucket). KB004842
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Perform the migration: Select the items > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. Note: The Destination files on Azure Storage will all be Block Blob Type. KB004938
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Create the Cloud Storage Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint. Click the Save button.
Decommission the S3 storage account.