How do I migrate calendars from Google to Office 365 with color?
By default, calendar items will be migrated from GoogleApps to Office 365, as part of the full migration pass.
However, if the source calendars on GoogleApps have additional colors, from those supported on Office 365, then those colors will converted to the default color assigned to the calendar on Office 365, when migrated.
The Google calendar has eleven color options:
Destination: Office 365
The Office 365 calendar only has six out-of-the-box color categories:
Therefore, there are five colors (turquoise, gray, bold blue, bold green, and bold red) that exist in the Google calendar but do not exist in Office 365.
In order to ensure that all colors assigned to calendars on GoogleApps are converted over to Office 365 properly, when the calendars are migrated, the steps below need to be followed:
On destination Office 365 tenant:
- Before a customer plans to migrate their Google calendar with those five colors to Office 365, every user needs to manually set up their Office 365 calendar by creating new categories to match those five colors, using the exact category name:
- "Turquoise category"
- "Gray category"
- "Bold blue category"
- "Bold green category"
- "Bold red category"
- Manually assign a matching color to the category.
Click here, to go to a Microsoft support article on how to create and assign calendar color categories on Office 365.
If the above steps are not followed, then below details what will happen during migration to the calendar color categories.
- If the user does not pick a specific color (in their Google calendar) for an appointment, then that appointment displays as the default color (light red).
- When migrating this calendar item, MigrationWiz will not be able to match the color in the Destination (Office 365)
- Therefore, the appointment color will be converted to the default color of Office 365 calendar appointments.
Below are some example screen shots, to help explain the scenario where a user does not manually set up the additional calendar color categories, prior to migration.
Source (GoogleApps) calendar:
Destination (Office 365) calendar: