How do I find the main AutoDiscover URL and Certificate Principal Name for my Hosted Exchange provider?
This article provides the steps to follow to determine the main AutoDiscover URL and Certificate Principal Name for your Hosted Exchange Provider.
These steps are only neccessary when migrating to a Hosted Exchange provider, using DeploymentPro. See What Destination systems are supported by DeploymentPro? for what systems are officially supported for use with DeploymentPro.
- The main AutoDiscover URL is different from the AutoDiscover URL that your end users enter as their Outlook Web Access (OWA) URL. It is important to include the main AutoDiscover URL for the Hosted Exchange provider, within your DeploymentPro project, rather than the end user OWA URL. The reason for this is that some smaller Hosted Exchange providers have not set up their DNS Autodiscover redirects properly. This can cause problems when reconfiguring profiles based on the end user AutoDiscover URL. For this reason, it is important to enter the main AutoDiscover URL, instead of the end user OWA URL.
- When setting up your DeploymentPro project with a Destination endpoint that is Exchange 2003+, there will be a section in the DeploymentPro portal for AutoDiscover Preferences. Further details on what to enter in the fields can be found toward the end of this Knowledge Base article.
The steps below provide the necessary information on how to ascertain both the main AutoDiscover URL and Certificate Principal Name for your Destination Hosted Exchange provider, and show where this information needs to be entered within your DeploymentPro project.
How to find the main AutoDiscover URL for your Destination Hosted Exchange provider.
- Obtain the OWA URL from your Destination Hosted Exchange provider. Enter this into a browser window. Upon connection to the Hosted Exchange provider, there will be an auto redirect to the main AutoDiscover URL of the Hosted Exchange provider.
- Make a note of this URL, and enter this into your DeploymentPro project (more details on where to enter this are provided at the bottom of this article).
Ask your Hosted Exchange Provider for the main AutoDiscover URL.
- Make sure that you ask for the main AutoDiscover URL, and not the AutoDiscover or OWA URL that is specific to your customer.
- This is required is because if you enter the customer AutoDiscover URL, there will be a redirect to the main AutoDiscover URL. If the Hosted provider has not set up their DNS properly, this redirect will fail and the Outlook profiles will fail to be reconfigured properly.
How to find the Certificate Principal Name.
- Ask your Hosted Exchange Provider for the Certificate Principal Name.
- Configure one Outlook profile manually for a test or active mailbox user.
Note: When setting up this profile, bypass the AutoDiscover warning messages to complete the profile configuration. Once this profile has been created, you can use the settings to determine the Certificate Principal Name for your Hosted Exchange provider. This can then be entered into your DeploymentPro portal, so that all future profiles can be configured with this Certifcate Prinipal Name stored in the profiles.
- From this manually-configured profile, while Outlook is running, hold down the CTRL key, right-click on the Outlook icon in your system tray or notification area (lower-right corner of the computer screen), and then select Test E-mail AutoConfiguration.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Clear the checkboxes next to Use Guessmart and Secure Guessmart Authentication. Make sure that Use AutoDiscover is selected.
- Click on the Test button.
- In the results window, look for the entry for Certificate Principal Name, as shown in this screen shot:
Note: The screen shot above is for Office 365. The Certificate Principal Name for your Hosted Provider will contain URL information for your Hosted Exchange provider.
Where to enter the main AutoDiscover URL and Certificate Principal Name in DeploymentPro.
- Upon first launch of DeploymentPro for your customer, there will be some fields for Autodiscover URL and Certificate Principal Name.
- Enter the information gathered from the above steps, into these fields.
- The screen shot above is for Office 365. The Certificate Principal Name for your Hosted Provider will contain URL information for your Hosted Exchange provider.