This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Google Drive to Dropbox.
This migration guide contains the necessary steps to perform the actual migration, but there are many steps to preparing for migration. If this is your first time performing a migration, we have created a Migration Planning & Strategy Guide to walk you through planning, set-up, and general migration best practices.
To discover what items are moved with MigrationWiz in this scenario, and which items will not be moved, see Moved Items. Note that these items will vary by source and destination, so check the proper environment listings carefully.
MigrationWiz is a migration tool, not a syncing tool. If changes are made at the source after migration, they will not sync to the destination, nor will changes made at the destination sync to the source. We do not have “live” monitoring of changes (as with a sync agent) and we cannot handle scenarios such as conflict resolution without user interaction.
Items and folders in "Shared with Me" will not be migrated. Only items in "My Drive" will be migrated. To migrate "Shared with Me" items, they must be added to "My Drive".
Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 within your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. Read the Enable access to G Suite using OAuth 2.0 article for more information.
- If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat the steps for each domain.
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
- OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts, G Suite Legacy free accounts, or Google Apps Legacy free accounts. Unfortunately, migrating any Google Legacy free accounts is not supported.
- Enable API Access. Log in to Google Admin portal > Security > API Reference > checkmark the Enable API Access button. Note: This is an extra step that is mandatory when migrating from Google Drive.
- Export mailboxes to CSV file(s). From Google Admin portal > Click Users > Click ⁝ (3 vertical dots) > Download Users > Download All Users > Click OK > Save.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create the Dropbox Business account and purchase Dropbox licenses.
- Create a Dropbox user account that will be used for the migration, and grant this account appropriate team admin privileges. Follow the instructions in the Add Tiered Admins guide from Dropbox.
- Use the list created under Step 3 of the Prepare the Source Environment section of this guide to recreate users in the new Dropbox Business account. Follow the instructions in the Invite your Team guide from Dropbox.
Note: Users must accept the invitations before their accounts are created at Dropbox. You must wait for the team to accept the invitations before starting the migration, or the migration will fail.
- Create the customer. Read the View, Add, and Edit Your Customers article for more information.
- Create the Google Drive and Dropbox endpoints. Read the View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints article for more information.
- For the Google Drive endpoint, select Google Drive as the endpoint type, and enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- For Dropbox, select Dropbox as the endpoint type, and select Provide Credentials.
- Under this endpoint type, there are no fields to enter admin account and password.
- There will be an API Authorization Request screen prompt when you set up your MigrationWiz project later in the process.
- Create the Document Migration project. Read the How do I create a new migration project? article for more information.
- Note: At the Authorization tab, click the Request Access Token button. Within the Dropbox - API Request Authorization page, enter the email address and password for the Dropbox admin account and click the Allow button on the next screen.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
InitializationTimeout=8- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. Read the Cannot get folders from My Drive article for more information.
RemoveExistingPermissionsWhenUnspecified=1Read the What is the Advanced support option RemoveExistingPermissionsWhenUnspecified=1, and when should it be used? article for more information.
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Set the Advanced Option to send a notification to end users after the migration pass completes.
- Notifications > Send successful migration and notification to: > Source email address (if users are still using G suite Gmail) or Destination email address (if users have already migrated from the G Suite gmail platform).
- Customize the notification email. Checkmark the Customize "successful migration" email box. Add your own customization text and company name to this email.
Note: Notifications should only be set up before the final pass. If performing a single, Full pass, set this up now. If you are following a Pre-stage migration strategy, only set this up prior to the final Full (Delta) pass.
- Full Migration strategy. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- For small migration projects that are less than 50 users, we recommend a Full Migration strategy. This is a single, full-pass migration.
- Pre-Stage Migration Strategy:
- Pre-Stage pass. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- Full (Delta) pass. For more information, see How do I start a migration?
- For large migration projects that are more than 50 users, we recommend Pre-Stage Migration strategy. This is a multiple-pass migration.
Important: Recent changes to the Dropbox APIs prevent us from adding watermarks on files in the Destination Dropbox accounts. Therefore, if you perform a partial migration, reset the items in MigrationWiz, and then perform the migration again, you will end up with duplicate files at the Destination. If you must rerun the migration, we recommend that you first delete all files already migrated to the Destination Dropbox accounts.
- To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.
- Notify users once the migration has completed.
Note: If you set the MigrationWiz Advanced Option for Notifications, they will receive an email upon completion of the migration. Assist them with setting up access to their Dropbox accounts.
- Provide training to end users on Dropbox.