Office 365 to Amazon WorkMail Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, click the waffle icon () in the top navigation bar of MSPComplete, and select the appropriate migration product.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from Office 365 to Amazon WorkMail.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
- Export user list to a CSV file. This can be used when bulk-adding users to your MigrationWiz project later. You can copy and paste the user list into the Source Email column in your MigrationWiz project dashboard under Add > Bulk Add. Steps: From Office 365 admin portal > Users > Active Users > Export > Continue.
Prepare the Destination Environment (full details can be found in the Amazon WorkMail admin guide here)
- Add an Organization to Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Add an Organization.
- Add your domain to Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Add a Domain.
- Create new users, or enable your existing directory of users, for Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Create New Users.
- Create an admin account for migration that has full access permissions to all mailboxes. Add the new user migration_admin in the Amazon WorkMail console, or create the user migration_admin in your Active Directory, and enable this user for Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Migrate to Amazon WorkMail. Note: When you are setting the Destination endpoint, the administrative login name must be entered in the form of an email address.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Office 365.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. Note: This should be a global admin account. If creating a separate admin account for the purpose of migration, refer to the Office 365 section in KB004725.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select AWS WorkMail.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials for the account that was set up under the Prepare The Destination Environment of this guide.
- From the drop-down list, select the WorkMail Region.
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase
> Mailbox Migration
> select MigrationWiz-Mailbox
, and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. KB004647
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users, telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting. For more information, see Use AutoDiscover to Configure Endpoints.
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set to use impersonation at the Source. Checkmark the Use impersonation at Source box. KB004727
- If this is a large migration project, the value for Maximum concurrent migrations, under the Performance section, can be set to a very high value, e.g., 250. Note: There is no limit for this value (for cloud to cloud migrations), if using impersonation.
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
- Note: If you are migrating in batches and mail coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must perform this extra step:
Reconfigure Outlook profiles to use Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Connect Microsoft Outlook to Your Amazon WorkMail Account. Note: Users must create new Outlook profiles, and set up their signatures again, and reattach any PST files that were attached to their previous profile.
Set up Amazon WorkMail on your Kindle, Android, iPad, iPhone, or Windows Phone. For more information, see Connect Your iOS Device and Connect Your Android Device.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626