Office 365 to Amazon WorkMail Migration Guide
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from Office 365 to Amazon WorkMail.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
- Export user list to a CSV file. This can be used when bulk-adding users to your MigrationWiz project later. You can copy and paste the user list into the Source Email column in your MigrationWiz project dashboard under Add > Bulk Add. Steps: From Office 365 admin portal > Users > Active Users > Export > Continue.
Prepare the Destination Environment (full details can be found in the Amazon WorkMail admin guide here)
- Add an Organization to Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Add an Organization.
- Add your domain to Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Add a Domain.
- Create new users, or enable your existing directory of users, for Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Create New Users.
- Create an admin account for migration that has full access permissions to all mailboxes. Add the new user migration_admin in the Amazon WorkMail console, or create the user migration_admin in your Active Directory, and enable this user for Amazon WorkMail. For more information, see Migrate to Amazon WorkMail. Note: When you are setting the Destination endpoint, the administrative login name must be entered in the form of an email address.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Office 365.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. Note: This should be a global admin account. If creating a separate admin account for the purpose of migration, refer to the Office 365 section in KB004725.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select AWS WorkMail.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials for the account that was set up under the Prepare The Destination Environment of this guide.
- From the drop-down list, select the WorkMail Region.
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
- Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set to use impersonation at the Source. Checkmark the Use impersonation at Source box. KB004727
- If this is a large migration project, the value for Maximum concurrent migrations, under the Performance section, can be set to a very high value, e.g., 250. Note: There is no limit for this value (for cloud to cloud migrations), if using impersonation.
- Note: If you are migrating in batches and mail coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must perform this extra step:
- Set up mail forwarding. KB004315