This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating EML files to Office 365 mailboxes. Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
If you are migrating to Office 365 archives rather than mailboxes, the steps will be exactly the same, but the Destination will need to be set to Archives. This is set under MigrationWiz Project Advanced Options > Destination: Microsoft Office 365 > Archives. KB004910
MigrationWiz is a migration solution (not a synchronization solution) and will NOT propagate updates, deletes, or moves of the items previously migrated in the first migration pass because we do not have “live” monitoring of changes (as with a sync agent) and we cannot handle scenarios such as conflict resolution without user interaction.
MigrationWiz supports the capability to share migration projects across a Workgroup. When the Project Sharing feature is turned on, all Agents besides those who are Inactive can view all migrations projects. For more information, visit Project Sharing in MigrationWiz.
Prepare the Azure Environment and upload EML files to Azure
- Estimate Azure storage costs. This step is optional, but is useful in order to provide the customer with upfront storage costs ahead of time. KB005177
- Buy an Azure subscription (or use the free one-month trial, and be aware that this option is only viable if you are performing a very small migration). KB004996
- Create an Azure storage account, and take note of the Storage Account Name and the Primary Access Key. (In Azure, from the storage screen, click Manage Access Keys at the bottom of the screen.) The Storage Account Name and the Primary Access Key need to be entered into the MigrationWiz document project when specifying the Source settings. We recommend that you create an Azure Storage Account in the same Microsoft data center as the Destination Office 365 tenant. KB004832
- Create a public Azure container (e.g., migrationwiz).
Note: You will be prompted to enter this container name when creating your MigrationWiz project. KB008059
- Ensure that the EML file structure follows supported formats. KB005890
- Upload the EML files to your Azure container. Options include UploaderWiz, AZCopy, Azure Storage Explorer, Microsoft Azure Import/Export Service and PowerShell. Details can be found in KB004931.
- If using you are using UploaderWiz for the upload to Azure, this includes logic to overcome Microsoft restrictions to Azure container names. KB005484
- UploaderWiz can only support file path names that are shorter than 248 characters. This limitation is due to the Microsoft .Net Framework. KB005516
- Using UploaderWiz requires that .NET Framework version 4.6.1 or later be installed on the computer on which UploaderWiz runs.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
- Set up accounts on Office 365 and assign licenses. These can be created in several ways:
- Manually, one at a time.
- By bulk import, via CSV file. Microsoft instructions
- By PowerShell script. TechNet article
- By DirSync, AAD Sync, or AAD Connect. KB004336
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints.
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select EML (Block Storage).
- Enter Storage Account Name and Access Key in the fields provided.
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Office 365 > fill in the required fields.
- For the Source endpoint:
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Set up the Project. Read the How do I create a new migration project? article for more information.
Note: For the Source endpoint, enter the Container Name in the field provided
- Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Set the Preferred BitTitan Data Center. For the fastest migration speeds, select the data center that is closest to your Office 365 Destination tenant. KB004268
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario: