This module covers the steps to prepare an On-Premises Exchange email system as the Source for an email migration project. You will see how to configure an administrator account for the migration, grant access for all mailboxes to the administrator account, create an Exchange policy that removes throttling for the administrator account, and verify accessibility of the administrator account using EWS. Continue to the next module when you have finished viewing this video, completed the lab exercise, and taken the Knowledge Check.
In this lab exercise, you will prepare On-Premises Exchange Server as the Source for an email migration project.
Note: These instructions are tailored for Exchange Server 2010. The steps may differ for other versions of Exchange Server.
- Completion of the module above.
- Administrator-level access to the On-Premises Exchange Server.
Complete these steps to create an administrator account:
- Sign in to the On-Premises Exchange Server as an administrator.
- Open the Exchange Management Console.
- Expand the Recipient Configuration node, and click Mailbox.
- In the Mailbox pane, right-click and select New Mailbox.
- In the introduction screen, make sure that User Mailbox is selected, and click Next.
- On the User Type screen, make sure that New user is selected, and click Next.
- Enter MigrationWiz as the first name and the User logon name, and then select the appropriate domain name.
- Enter a password, confirm it, and click Next.
- If there are multiple mailbox databases, select specify the mailbox database, and click Browse to select a specific database. Otherwise, click Next if the default database is the one you would like to use for the administrator account.
- In the Archive Settings screen, leave the Don’t create an archive option selected, and click Next.
- Confirm the information for the new mailbox, and click New.
- Once the wizard has created the new mailbox, click Finish.
- Next, you should define the SMTP email address for the mailbox you just created.
- Right-click the MigrationWiz account, and then select Properties.
- Click the Email Addresses tab, and then click New.
- Enter the email address for the mailbox, and click OK.
- Deselect Automatically update email addresses.
- Click the email address you just added, then click Set as reply.
- To close the MigrationWiz mailbox properties window, click OK.
Complete these steps to grant access for the administrator account to all mailboxes:
- Open the Exchange Management Shell.
- Enter this command shown, then press Enter:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Add-MailboxPermission -AccessRights FullAccess -User MigrationWiz
Note: The MigrationWiz parameter in the command should be replaced with the username that you entered for the administrator account that will be used for the migration.
This command must be executed every time a new mailbox is created in the Exchange server. Otherwise, the MigrationWiz account will not have access to the new mailboxes created after the command was first executed.
Complete these steps to create a new Exchange throttling policy and disable throttling limits for the new policy:
- In the Exchange Management Shell, type this command and press Enter to create a new “MigrationWizPolicy” throttling policy.
- Enter this command and press Enter to disable throttling limits for the MigrationWizPolicy:
Set-ThrottlingPolicy MigrationWizPolicy -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxConcurrency $null -EWSPercentTimeInAD $null -EWSPercentTimeInCAS $null -EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -EWSMaxSubscriptions $null -EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds $null -EWSFindCountLimit $null -CPAMaxConcurrency $null -CPAPercentTimeInCAS $null -CPAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null -CPUStartPercent $null
- Enter this command and press Enter to associate the MigrationWizPolicy to the MigrationWiz administrator account you created:
Set-Mailbox "MigrationWiz" -ThrottlingPolicy MigrationWizPolicy
Complete these steps to verify accessibility of the MigrationWiz administrator account using Exchange Web Services (EWS):
- On a different computer than the On-Premises Exchange Server, open an internet browser and navigate to this web address: https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/
- Select Service account access, and click Next.
- Enter all the required information on the screen.
- Select ignore trust for SSL, and the disclaimer below it.
- Enter the captcha code, and click Verify.
- Click Perform Test when ready.
- EWS accessibility is verified if you see results like the result shown in this screen shot:
Download the lab exercise PDF
Answer the Knowledge Check questions below, and then click Done to see your score.
These articles are available in the Knowledge Base: