MigrationWiz now supports migrating document metadata and versions for Teams to Teams projects. This may only be done if no document migration has occurred previously in the project.
This guide migrates documents, versions, and metadata from a SharePoint instance attached to a Teams instance. We suggest using the Teams to Teams migration guide for reference during this process and the SharePoint to SharePoint migration guide for reference.
- Reach out to BitTitan Technical Sales to activate this feature for your project.
Re-enable the Teams Application permissions here before starting the migration.
Log in as a Global Admin at the destination tenant, then click Accept. Refer to the Application Permission guide for more information.
- Create a brand new Collaboration project - these steps are outlined in the Teams to Teams migration guide linked above.
- Migration of documents versions and metadata is only supported for newly created projects. If this is not your first time migrating documents, please do not select versions or metadata.
- Add the Advanced Option: TeamsEnableSPVersionMetadata=1
Enable Azure storage. We recommend using a Microsoft-provided Azure storage solution for this migration.
Purchase sufficient Collaboration licenses.
Migrating more versions creates larger documents, which may require more licenses.
Once the above prerequisites are met:
- Go to Start Migration.
- Select Documents. This is required to migration metadata and versioning and cannot be skipped.
- Select Document Metadata, or Document Versioning or both. This cannot be done if documents have previously been migrated.
What are the metadata types supported?
- Single line of text
- Single select
- Multi select Currency
- Date and Time
- Person or Group (should be available at destination)
- URL/ Hyperlink
What metadata types are not supported?
Any metadata referencing information from outside the document library (such as lists or other site-level data) is not migrated.
- External data
- Managed metadata
- Retention policy tags/retention labels
How many Document versions are supported?
By default, 3 versions, including the current version, will be migrated. However, migration of up to 25 versions (minor + major versions), including the current version, is supported. This can be configurable via the Advanced Options > Source/Destination tab.
How are versions migrated for multi-pass scenarios?
Refer here for specific multi-pass scenarios.
Other than documents, is the metadata for Teams and Conversations migrated?
No. Currently, only versions and metadata specific to documents are migrated.
I have existing Teams projects from before this feature is available. Can I migrate document versions and metadata for this existing project?
No. We recommend creating a brand new Teams/Collaboration project to migrate this data if you have already started your migration in a previous project.