BitTitan now supports a new v2 Endpoint when OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online is the destination for your migration. Because we still have the regular (v1) endpoints for both scenarios, this guide should help you understand when to use which Endpoint.
What's the difference between the two endpoints?
- The v2 Endpoints use Microsoft's Migration API.
- For the Migration API, Microsoft leverages Azure storage to maximize speed & bypass throttling. Using the v2 Endpoints results in a faster migration.
- Because these Endpoints use Azure storage, MigrationWiz requires an Azure Storage Account Name & Azure Access Key as inputs if you are using your own Azure storage. These are not required if using the Microsoft provided Azure storage.
- These Endpoints can only be selected when OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online is the destination.
- Both v1 and v2 Endpoints can comfortably support approximately 200 concurrent migrations.
- The v2 Endpoints supports syncing items. You can use the
SyncItems=1Advanced Option if required.
- Important, the v2 connectors do not support invalid XML characters. The list of migration items will need to be checked for these characters and items with invalid characters will either need to be renamed or migrated using a v1 connection instead of v2.
Note: The invalid characters are: < > " ' &
Note: For v2, the Azure BLOB storage would need to be scaled for the whole data set.
When should I use the regular (v1) Endpoints, and when should I use v2?
- Best used for smaller volume migrations (20GB and under). Because v1 uses an older API, the chances of throttling are increased when dealing with large volumes.
- If you do not have access to Azure Storage, or you do not want to set up Azure storage, use the v1 Endpoint.
- v1 must be used when OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online is not the destination. For example, you cannot use the v2 Endpoint in a OneDrive for Business to Google Drive migration scenario.
- Best used for medium/large migration projects (20GB and over). You won't hit the same throttling limits as you would with v1.
- If you have access to Azure Storage, and you're confident in the Azure Storage Costs, we recommend using the v2 Endpoint.
- v2 can only be used when OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online is the destination.