Create a Collaboration migration project.
- Sign in to your MigrationWiz account.
- Click the Go To My Projects
- Click the Create Project
- Select a Collaboration migration type. Collaboration projects are used to migrate a Microsoft Teams instance from one Microsoft tenant to another. Collaboration migrations migrate all Teams, Channels, files, and permissions.
- Click Next Step.
- Enter a Project name and select a Customer.
- Click Next Step.
- Select a Source Endpoint from the Endpoint drop-down menu. If an Endpoint has not been created, click New and provide the requested information in the Endpoint creation flyout window.
- Select a Destination Endpoint from the Endpoint drop-down menu. If an Endpoint has not been created, click New and provide the requested information in the Endpoint creation flyout window.
- Click Save and Go to Summary.
Click Start Assessment to add items to the Collaboration project.
- Purchase MigrationWiz-Collaboration licenses. The total number of licenses is shown on the completed Assessment page.
- Once the licenses have been purchased, click the Rerun Assessment.
Note: If licenses were already purchased and seen by the Assessment, skip this step.
- Once the assessment shows the message “You have sufficient licenses. You can start your migration.”, you will be able to click the Start Full Migration.
Note: To migrate only some Teams from the Source, it is possible to use a CSV to select the specific teams to migrate. Follow the steps below to migrate from a CSV.
Important: Only Collaboration projects created after December 8, 2019 will be able to see the new action menu option to ‘Select Teams’. For projects created before December 8, 2019, the project can be cloned or recreated as a new project to make use of the new options.
- This step will connect to the endpoints and discover all teams, channels, users, conversations, and files in both tenants before the migration can proceed.
- When the Assessment completes, MigrationWiz will display information such as the number of teams, total file size, total number of users, the number and type of licenses needed, and the number of licenses currently available to be used.
- Guest users will not be included as part of the assessed license requirement. Conversations that guest users participate in will be migrated as part of the migration process.
Migrating Teams via CSV
- After running an Assessment, it is possible to use a MigrationWiz-generated CSV to select which teams are included in the migration.
- To use this functionality, follow the steps below.
- Open the Collaboration project that needs specific teams selected.
- If an Assessment has not already been completed, run an Assessment.
- After the Assessment completes, click on the Actions button and click on Select Teams.
- From the flyout menu, click on Assessment Summary CSV File.
- When the file finishes downloading, open the file and edit only the first column, titled Selection (true/false).
- All teams with “TRUE” in the Selection column will be included in the migration. To exclude a team from the migration, change “TRUE” to “FALSE”. A blank cell will be treated as a “FALSE”.
- Do not change any other information in the CSV file. Changing other fields will cause the team selection to fail.
- Save the modified CSV.
Note: The file must remain in .csv format and must not exceed 5MB.
- The new CSV is then uploaded to the project in the same flyout menu that it was downloaded from. The upload entry field is shown at the bottom of the flyout menu.
- Click Select File.
- Find the modified CSV on your computer and select it.
- Click Import. The Assessment results for the project will be updated to reflect only the teams now selected for migration.
- When ready, click Start Migration.
- After the migration completes, verify on the Destination tenant that only the specified teams have been migrated.
- After uploading the CSV file, a new option will show under the Actions menu.
- Clear All Selections – This option will clear the updated CSV list, resetting the migration back to the default, which means all teams will be selected for migration.
- Selecting Run Full Assessment after uploading a modified CSV will also clear the updated CSV list and reset the migration back to the default of all teams being selected for migration.
Migrating Teams with Special Characters in the Name
If any team names have special characters, such as emoji icons, Excel may not be able to open the generated CSV file. The steps below may allow the CSV file to be imported:
- Open Excel.
- Import the data using Data--> Import External Data--> Import Data.
- Select the file type of "csv" and browse to your file.
- In the import wizard change the File_Origin to "65001 UTF" (or choose correct language character identifier).
- Change the Delimiter to comma.
- Select where to import to and Finish.
Note: While these steps should work for most versions of Excel, some versions may still not be able to open the CSV.
- Click the Start Full Migration
- When the migration completes, verify that the users are now able to see their teams and channels in the Destination tenant.
- Click the bar chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to request an email containing the project migration statistics.