The following sections will guide you through setting up and launching your migration. Each header is one step, with its component steps below. Follow these steps in order, and read the notes for important information about dependencies or best practices.
Run Verify Credentials
- Open the Project containing items you wish to validate.
- Select the items you wish to validate.
- Click on the Start button in your dashboard.
- Select Verify Credentials from the drop-down list.
- Once complete, the results of the verification will be shown in the Status section.
Send out the final notification that the migration is beginning. Include when the migration will start, expected duration, any usage instructions during migration, and any expected steps or notifications for the post-migration timeline.
If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
- Select the users
- Click the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration
- Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago
- Click Start Migration.
MX Record Cutover
Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also, include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting. There are several options for this, based on the size of your project.
Manually set forwards during a migration on a per-user basis, from the individual users' portal. This is only a valid option for a small number of users. Forwards are useful if you are migrating users in batches, and switching some users over to the new Destination before others. Forwards allow for mail coexistence, but not for calendar free/busy coexistence.
- Sign in to your account.
- Click on Settings.
- Locate the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Click Add a forwarding address.
- Enter the email address to forward to.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the forward mailbox.
- Validate the confirmation by logging in to the forward mailbox.
- Go back to your account.
- Select the forward mode.
We recommend not saving a copy locally, because when you migrate the mailbox to the destination, you will end up with duplicates.
Manually set forwards during a migration on a per-user basis, from the admin portal. Forwards are useful if you are migrating users in batches, and switching some users over to the new Destination before others. Forwards allow for mail coexistence, but not for calendar free/busy coexistence.
- Sign into your control panel.
- Click on the Organization & users menu.
- Click on the user you wish to provide coexistence for.
- Scroll to the bottom of the User information section.
- Click on the link Add another destination. A new row should have been added.
- Enter the email address of the new mailbox to coexist with. This email address needs to be different than the email address in your source
- Make sure both checkboxes are selected (they already are, by default). There is one in front of the row and another under the column called Change SMTP envelope.
- Unselect the checkbox in front of the row.
- Click on Save Changes.
Automate the setup of mail coexistence (forwards) for GoogleApps through the MigrationWiz management console tool. The BitTitan Management Console is part of the BitTitan PowerShell, which can be downloaded and installed by following the instructions in the How do I install the BitTitan SDK? article.
Complete the following prerequisites before adding the forwarding addresses:
- Create a subdomain of your primary vanity domain, and add that subdomain to the Destination environment. For example, if your vanity domain is mining88.com and the Destination is Office 365, create the subdomain o365.mining88.com and add it to Office 365 for Exchange Online.
- Make sure that all the users at the Destination have a secondary address for the routing subdomain you are using. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org should be a secondary SMTP address of John's account at the Destination.
- Add the appropriate MX record to ensure that all email sent to the subdomain is routed to the Destination environment. Before implementing the forwarding addresses, test the mail flow by sending an email to the forwarding address (for example, email@example.com) and confirming that it is delivered to the Destination.
- Make sure you have the MigrationWiz project configured correctly with the admin's email address and domain configured in the Source connector.
- Navigate to %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\BitTitan and, if it is present, delete the GoogleOAuthDataStore file. This is to eliminate any Google caching from interfering.
- Log in to your tenant with the admin's account from your browser.
If Mail Coexistence if Required
If mail coexistence is required, you must set up mail forwards against those user accounts that are in the migration batches. Google documentation explains how: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957
If you are migrating in batches, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated.
Run Full (Delta) Pass Migration
Select the users – you may either select individual users, or select all users in a project by clicking the checkbox to the left of Source Email.
Click the Start button from the top
Select Full Migration. If you want to delay your migration, then select the checkbox marked "Automatically start the migration at", and enter the date and time to have the migration start. To start a migration immediately, you do not need to select the scheduling option.
Click Start Migration.
Run Retry Errors
Each error logged represents an item that was not migrated. MigrationWiz contains a mode in which you can resubmit the migration to retry failed items. This mode of operation is always free of charge. You may only submit mailboxes in this mode only if they satisfy all of the following conditions:
- The last migration completed successfully.
- The mailbox contains at least one error.
If your mailbox does not satisfy these conditions, you will receive a warning when submitting the migration in this mode and your request will not be fulfilled.
To submit one or more mailboxes in retry mode, perform the following steps:
- Click the Go To My Projects button.
- Select the project that contains the mailboxes that you want to retry.
- Select the mailboxes that have migration errors.
- Click on the Start button.
- Select Retry Errors from the menu.
- Click the Retry Errors button.
When errors are repaired, they will disappear from the error log. Some errors may not disappear if the Source item was not reprocessed (due to filters, for example), has been deleted or moved, or if the item failed again.
Run Final Full Migration Pass
- Under Project Advanced Options, navigate to filtering section
(^All Mail$|^All Mail/)
- Select the users
- Click the Start button from the top, select Full Migration
- Click Start Migration