Here are a few things you need to know about migrating from G Suite or Gmail:
- IMAP access needs to be enabled for all users. Follow the steps in the Turn POP and IMAP on and off for usersarticle from Google.
- Contact and calendar services need to be turned on for all users. Follow the steps in the Control who can access Google servicesarticle from Google.
- If migrating from free Gmailor non-paid G Suite accounts:
- Unfortunately, migrating any Google free accounts is not supported due to recent changes in Google Security policies.
- If migrating from G Suite for Business orEducation, then enable OAuth administrative credentials to avoid Google lockouts and having to provide each end user's credentials. Read the Enable access to G Suite using OAuth 2.0 article for more information.
Note: When setting up the migration project, and choosing G Suite as either the Source or Destination, it is necessary to add all domains that will be migrating from, or to, G Suite. This means that if there are users in one project with domain names Sourcedomain.com and Destinationdomain.com, you must ensure that both of these are added under Your Domains when setting up the project in MigrationWiz.
- Review how items are migrated to Exchange/Office 365:
- Read the Why was my Sent Items folder not migrated to the correct folder at the destination?article for more information about applying folder re-mappings.
- Read the How are Google contact groups migrated?
- Read the What options are available for migrating G Suite/Gmail suggested contacts?article to learn how to migrate G Suite/Gmail suggested contacts.
- Be aware of G Suite throttling when retrieving data. Google may lock your account for 24 hoursif they consider that too much data has been retrieved from their servers in a given amount of time. MigrationWiz adjusts migration throughput accordingly but remains subject to those limits. Read the Bandwidth limits for accounts article from Google for more information.
- MigrationWiz does not have a limit for the length of a label name. However, G Suite limits the length of label names to 225 characters.
- G Suite calendar items can have multiple reminder notifications. For example, a calendar item can have three reminders: the first reminder at 30 minutes before the meeting, the second at 15 minutes before the meeting, and the third at 5 minutes before the meeting. In Office 365 and Outlook, calendar items have only one reminder; therefore, MigrationWiz will migrate only the first calendar reminder. In the example, then, the only calendar reminder that will be migrated is the one that appears 30 minutes before the meeting.
- G Suite calendar item titles (subjects) that are over 255 characters will be truncated in Office 365. For example, a calendar item with a title that is 403 characters long will be cut down to 255 characters in Office 365.