- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from Office 365 to On-Premises Exchange, versions 2007, 2010, 2013, or 2016.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- The MSPComplete section includes steps to deploy the Device Management Agent (DMA) to end users. Deploying DMA to end users is a prerequisite if you will be using DeploymentPro.
- DeploymentPro can be used to configure the Outlook profiles. Note: DeploymentPro requires licenses to be purchased before it can be used. Refer to Scenario 2 in KB004875 to read why it is recommended (but not mandatory).
Prepare the Source Environment
- Create an administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. KB004948
- Export the user list to a CSV file. This can be used when bulk-adding users to your MigrationWiz project later. You can copy and paste the user list into the Source and Destination Email column within your MigrationWiz project dashboard under Add > Bulk Add. Steps: From Office 365 admin portal > Users > Active Users > Export > Continue.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Set up the user accounts.
- Create an admin account for migration that has full access permissions to all mailboxes. KB004725
- Set up a remote PowerShell session with Exchange 2010+. KB005111
- To manually grant administrative access for migration, execute the following PowerShell command in the Exchange PowerShell Console:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Add-MailboxPermission -AccessRights FullAccess -Automapping $false -User MigrationWiz
- In the PowerScript script above, change the -User account to match the name of the admin account that was set up for migration.
- Any user account that is a part of the domain administrator, schema administrator, or enterprise administrator groups will not have any administrative rights to mailboxes, no matter how many permissions are granted. A security default of Exchange Server is to explicitly deny any user that is a member of these groups. This is why we recommend creating a new user account specific for migration.
- Increase message size limits. KB004613
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Office 365.
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. Note: This should be a global admin account. If creating a separate admin account for the purpose of migration, refer to the Office 365 section in KB004725.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type select Exchange Server 2003+
- Enter OWA URL KB004392
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials for the account that was set up under the Prepare The Destination Environment of this guide.
- Launch DeploymentPro.
- Go to All Products > DeploymentPro and follow the prompts to launch.
- Select a customer from the list by clicking on the customer name. Note: The status column will show enabled when a customer account has had DMA deployed.
- Configure customer DeploymentPro module:
- Enter Domain.
- Select the Destination endpoint.
- Checkmark the Auto-populate box.
- In the Client Interface Configurations section, upload your company logo and add supporting text. Note: We strongly recommend doing this, because this is the logo and text that end users will see in a desktop pop-up when they are prompted to reconfigure their Outlook profiles. If you do not upload your own logo, the default BitTitan logo will be included instead.
- Save and continue.
- Either select all users (by checkmarking the box to the left of the Primary Email column heading), or select the individual users (by checkmarking the boxes to the left of the user email addresses). Note: You will need to purchase DeploymentPro licenses for each user that will be using DeploymentPro. KB004647
- Click on the Run Module button.
- Set the date and time for the Outlook profile configuration to occur, and click on the Run Module button.
- The DeploymentPro module will install on user devices immediately, and then run silently until this date.
- The profile cutover date should be set to a date and time that is shortly after MX record cutover.
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
- Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Set to use impersonation at the Source. Checkmark the Use impersonation at Source box. KB004727
- If this is a large migration project, increase the value for Maximum concurrent migrations, under the Performance section, e.g.,1000. Note: This can be set to a high number if impersonation is set to be used at the Source, and your Destination Exchange server has plenty of resources available.