MigrationWiz now offers the option to migrate recoverable items in Office 365 and Exchange environments. This option is applicable to Office 365 to Office 365 migration scenarios and Exchange (2013+ or Hosted) to Office 365 migration scenarios.
This will migrate the following recoverable items:
The following folder types are supported:
- Recoverable items: Deletions
- Recoverable items: Purges
- Recoverable items: Versions
To migrate these items, follow the steps below.
- Create a new migration project.
- Set source and destination to "Recoverable Items."
- Add Support Option MigrateAllRecoverableItems=1. Without this option, only email items will be migrated.
- Add Support Option OverrideRecoverableItemsFolderMapping=1. This option will apply folder mappings from source to destination for Deletions, Purges, and Versions. Without this item, all source folders will be migrated to Recoverable items -> Deletions.
- Start migration by selecting only "Mail" items in the "Select what to migrate" section. This will migrate all items. However, the folder type for recoverable items is recognized as a Mail folder by MigrationWiz.
Migrating Litigation Hold Data for Inactive Users
By default, mailboxes for inactive users with litigation hold are not migrated by MigrationWiz. Because the users are not licensed in the destination system, the mailboxes are not created, and the held items do not have a location to be migrated to.
It is possible to set up a migration specifically to migrate these held mailboxes. Use the steps below to create a project and migrate litigation hold data for inactive users in an Office 365 to
Office 365 tenant migration scenario:
- Find all inactive mailboxes. This can be done using the Powershell command below.
Get-Mailbox -InactiveMailboxOnly -ResultSize Unlimited
- Add inactive users to MSPComplete either individually (Quick Add) or using a CSV (Bulk Add).
- Create the target mailboxes in the destination Office 365 tenant.
- Add licenses to the newly created mailboxes in Office 365. (This requires at least an E3 license.)
- Set litigation hold on the new mailboxes.
- Set all the new mailboxes as Inactive. This will also remove the Office 365 license from those mailboxes.
- Create a new MigrationWiz Mailbox project.
- Do not check the box for Tenant to Tenant Coexistence.
- Click Save Project.
- Add the email addresses for the inactive users to the project. The source email addresses must match the inactive mailbox UPNs. The destination email addresses should be the newly created email addresses that were created earlier in these steps.
- Once the project is created, click Edit Project and select Advanced Options.
- Under both the Source and Destination sections, click Recoverable Items.
- Click Save.
The migration is now ready to be run. Other changes can be made if your scenario requires them, but no other settings are required to migrate mailboxes for inactive users.
If this migration fails, recover the inactive mailboxes before retrying the migration of the Recoverable Items. Use the steps in this Microsoft document to recover the mailboxes: Recover an inactive mailbox in Office 365, then run the migration again when the mailboxes are recovered.