Prepare the Source Environment
- Ask the Hosted Exchange Provider to create an account for migration purposes (e.g., named MigrationWiz) and grant full access rights to each mailbox, by running this PowerShell script against the account called MigrationWiz:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Add-MailboxPermission -AccessRights FullAccess -User MigrationWiz
If this is a very large project, the best results will be achieved by setting the project to use impersonation at the Source. In order to enable this, the PowerShell script below needs to be run by your Hosted Exchange provider. KB004727
Some Hosted Exchange providers allow this access to be granted via their web portal. In this case, you could log in to each mailbox via their portal, and then grant the migration account (e.g., MigrationWiz) to have read/write access to each mailbox. Obviously this is laborious and time-consuming, and so it is preferable that the Hosted Exchange provider run the PowerShell script above, particularly if you have a large number of users.
- Some Hosted Exchange Providers will not grant this access. If that is the case, then you can request credentials from your end users during the migration. Exact steps for this are provided under Option 2 in KB005086.
New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role ApplicationImpersonation -User <admin_user_name>
Many Hosted providers will not accommodate this request.
The second part of this process is to set your MigrationWiz project Advanced Options to use impersonation at the Source. This step is included in the MigrationWiz section in this guide.
Export the mailboxes to CSV file(s).
- If you have admin credentials on the Hosted Exchange environment, you only need a list of the email addresses. You do not need the password for each mailbox being migrated, because MigrationWiz will use delegation and perform the migration based on the admin credentials.
- If you do not have admin credentials on the Hosted Exchange environment (which is common), then you must obtain all the email addresses and passwords for the users.
Options to obtain these:
- Ask the Hosted Exchange provider to provide them.
- If the provider has an admin console which includes this capability, run their tool to export the user list (and, if neccessary, the passwords) to the CSV file.
- If the list of mailboxes and passwords from the Hosted Exchange provider is not available, request that the users send these to MigrationWiz, as part of the migration process. Video
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Set up user accounts.
- Ask the Hosted Exchange provider to create an account for migration that has full access permissions to all mailboxes.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro Bundle). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users. Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by either of these options:
For the Source endpoint:
Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > + Find My Service Provider button > click on the down arrow in the Service Provider field, and select the Hosted Exchange Provider (taking care to select the correct version of Exchange that the customer is running). This will autopopulate the Outlook Web Access URL with their verified URL. (Or, instead of clicking on the + Find My Service Provider button, click on the Exchange Server 2003+ button and manually enter the Outlook Web Access URL).
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. These are the credentials that you obtained from your Hosted Exchange Provider, when following the steps under the Prepare Source Environment section.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > + Find My Service Provider button > click on the down arrow in the Service Provider field, and select the Hosted Exchange Provider (taking care to select the correct version of Exchange that the customer is running). This will autopopulate the Outlook Web Access URL with their verified URL. (Or, instead of clicking on the + Find My Service Provider button, click on the Exchange Server 2003+ button, and manually enter the Outlook Web Access URL.)
- Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials. These are the credentials that you obtained from your Hosted Exchange Provider when following the steps under the Prepare Destination Environment section.
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology, because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
- Launch DeploymentPro.
Go to All Products > DeploymentPro and follow the prompts to launch.
Select a customer from the list by clicking on the customer name. Note: The status column will show enabled when a customer account has had DMA deployed.
Configure the customer DeploymentPro module:
- Enter the Domain.
- Select the Destinations endpoint.
- Checkmark the Auto-populate box.
- In the Client Interface Configurations section, upload your company logo and add supporting text. Note: We strongly recommend doing this, because this is the logo and text that end users will see in a desktop pop-up when they are prompted to reconfigure their Outlook profiles. If you do not upload your own logo, the default BitTitan logo will be included instead.
- Save and continue.
Activate DeploymentPro module for users.
Schedule the profile cutover date.
On the profile cutover date, users will be guided through the reconfiguration of their Outlook profile.
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
Add the accounts (also referred to as "items") that will be migrated to the project. Use the Bulk Add option, and then import from the CSV file that you prepared under prerequisites section of this guide. KB004842
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- If the list of mailboxes and passwords from the Hosted Exchange provider is not available, request that the users send these to MigrationWiz as part of the migration process. Video
The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
- If this is a very large project, the best results will be achieved by setting the project to use impersonation at the Source (as documented in the Prepare Source Environment section of this guide). However, many Hosted providers will not accommodate this request. If they do, checkmark the box for Use impersonation at source. Note: Exchange impersonation (not delegation) utilizes per-user throttling quotas, which allows for a very large number of users to be migrated concurrently.
If you are migrating in batches and mail coexistence is required, you will not be cutting over the MX records until your final batch of users has been migrated, and you must set up mail forwarding. KB004315
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799
for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
If not using DeploymentPro, users must create new Outlook profiles, and set up their signatures again, and reattach any PST files that were attached to their previous profile.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
Enable AutoDiscover again, so that users can create new profiles via AutoDiscover, or use DeploymentPro to automate the configuration of new Outlook profiles. KB005363