Note: We are updating our migration guides. Share your feedback in the box at the bottom of the article.
This guide provides best practice steps to migrate your IMAP email content to Office 365.
What will be migrated
Due to API limitations, IMAP migrations will only migrate mail items. We can only migrate mail items that are stored on the IMAP server.
What will NOT be migrated
- Calendars will not be migrated.
- There are many different versions of IMAP mail systems available. For this reason, we recommend running a trial migration on one or more mailbox(es) prior to the actual full migration project.
- Note: Once the trial migration completes, check on the folder structure at the Destination to ensure that the directory structure is as desired. How do I perform a trial migration?
- A Source that can pass the IMAP connectivity test here. Fill in the form and click on the test button.
- Global admin account for the Destination
- All of the mailboxes for the Destination created
- Customers created in MSPComplete Add and edit Customers
- Create customer endpoints in MSPComplete Add and edit Customer endpoints
- Purchase Migration Subscriptions or Migration Licenses
- An administrator account in Office 365 to be used for migration (or a global admin account for the tenant How do I create an administrator account in Office 365, and then use this during migration?)
- Assign subscriptions to users
Note: If you are migrating from SUN IMAP, refer to How do I migrate from SUN IMAP with administrative credentials?
- Create the Mailbox Migration project.
- Set the Project Advanced Options. What project Advanced Options are available?
- Suggested Advanced Option for this migration scenario: Set to use impersonation at Destination
- Note: If errors are listed in the MigrationWiz dashboard with the following error message: "Unexpected extra arguments to Examine Context: FolderNameWithQuote", then follow the steps below to add the support option flag AllowQuoteInFolder=1 at the item level, and run retry errors. How to resolve the error message "Unexpected extra arguments to Examine Context: FolderNameWithQuote".
- Steps: Click the Edit Item pencil icon to the right of the item that you wish to edit > Under the Support section, enter the support option: AllowQuoteInFolder=1 > Click Save Item > Select the line item in your MigrationWiz dashboard > Click Start > Retry Errors