- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating folders and documents from Google Drive to Microsoft SharePoint Online.
- Complete each step in the order listed. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- This is a one-to-many migration path. This means that data that belongs to one user will be migrated into a shared document library. This is a rare business case, because individual data would then be accessible by multiple people.
- If performing a Google Drive to OneDrive for Business migration, refer to the Google Drive to OneDrive for Business Migration Guide. This is the most common migration scenario for Google Drive migrations.
- This migration scenario will only migrate the content from the users' Google Drive accounts into the SharePoint Online document library. It will not migrate the permissions in the Source Google Drive shared documents.
- This migration scenario is free and requires no MigrationWiz licenses.
- Important: Due to API limitations, MigrationWiz is unable to migrate a file greater than 250MB in size.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 within your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. For guidance, refer to the Enable access to G Suite using OAuth 2.0 article.
- If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat these steps for each domain.
- Under Authorized API clients > Client Name > Enter the value 113321175602709078332
- Under One or more API Scopes > enter the scope for G Suite as the Source (read-only scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
- OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts. If a G Suite tenant is a G Suite for Business Legacy free account, end user credentials must be used. Refer to the How do I migrate from or to G Suite using end user credentials? article for more information.
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
- Enable API Access. Log in to the Google Admin portal > Security > API Reference > checkmark the Enable API Access button.
Note: This extra step is mandatory when migrating from Google Drive.
- Export mailboxes to CSV file(s). From the Google Admin portal > Click Users > Click ⁝ (3 vertical dots) > Download Users > Download All Users > Click OK > Save.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create a SharePoint Online administrator or Site Collection administrator account to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. Read the Manage administrators for a site collection article from Microsoft for more information.
- Create a SharePoint site.
Note: Make a note of the site URL where the document libraries will be stored. This will be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint.
- Before beginning the migration project, create the structure of the document libraries, and also create the actual document libraries on the Destination SharePoint Online site.
Note: Refer to the Training: Introduction to document libraries video from Microsoft for more information.
- Create the customer. Read the View, Add, and Edit Your Customers article for more information.
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. Read the View, Add, and Edit Customer Endpoints article for more information.
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive.
- Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click Endpoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select SharePoint.
- Enter the URL for the top level SharePoint document library.
- Enter the administrator username and password in the fields.
Note: This must be either a Global administrator, SharePoint Online administrator, or a Site Collection administrator account.
- Create the Document Migration project. Read the How do I set up a document migration project in MSPComplete? article for more information.
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint > Click the Save button.
- If the document library is named "Documents" and the URL is listed as "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Documents/", enter Documents as the document library name.
- If your document library is named "Documents" but the URL says "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/", the name of the document library that needs to be entered is Shared Documents.
- Click Add and enter the email address of each Google Drive user for Source, and the corresponding document library name at the Destination that the Source documents will be migrated into. The name that needs to be entered under Destination in MigrationWiz will be the text that is at the end of the site URL. This may be different than the actual name that has been set for the Document Library. The examples below help explain this:
InitializationTimeout=28800000- This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. Read the Cannot get folders from My Drive article for more information.
FolderLimit=20000- This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. Read the How do I increase the folder limit for document migrations? article for more information.
RenameConflictingFiles=1- This automatically renames the files that have the same name. It will rename the files to their original file names, followed by an unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. Read the How do I migrate multiple files with the same name into OneDrive? article for more information.
Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click the Start Migration button. Read the How do I start a migration? for more information.
Important: Deselect permissions before migrating. If permissions are left checked, this will result in errors during your migration, because permissions cannot be migrated for this scenario.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.