Prepare the Source Environment
- Enable OAuthentication 2.0 within your Google admin portal, to grant MigrationWiz access to G Suite. KB005019
Enable API Access. Log in to the Google Admin portal > Security > API Reference > checkmark the Enable API Access button. Note: This extra step is mandatory when migrating from Google Drive.
Export mailboxes to CSV file(s). From the Google Admin portal > Click Users > Click on ⁝ (3 vertical dots) > Download Users > Download All Users > Click OK > Save.
If you are migrating from multiple domains, repeat these steps for each domain.
Under Authorized API clients > Client Name > Enter: 794841909041-4ujv1ss1o7m7kqm3gtqd06bklietmmde.apps.googleusercontent.com
Under One or more API Scopes > enter the scope for G Suite as the Source (read-only scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
OAuth administrative credentials will not function properly with G Suite for Business Legacy free accounts. If a G Suite tenant is a G Suite for Business Legacy free account, end user credentials must be used. Refer to KB005124 for more information on migrating with end user credentials.
Make sure there are no spaces before or after the scope entry. This will cause the authorization to fail.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create a SharePoint Online administrator or Site Collection administrator account to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. More information on these can be found here.
- Create a SharePoint site. Note: Make a note of the site URL where the document libraries will be stored. This will be entered when creating your MSPComplete Destination endpoint.
- Before beginning the migration project, create the structure of the document libraries, and also create the actual document libraries on the Destination SharePoint Online site. Note: Refer to this Microsoft training video for more information on the steps: Create your document library.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive.
- Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select SharePoint.
- Enter the URL for the top level SharePoint document library.
- Enter the administrator username and password in the fields. Note: This must be either a Global administrator, SharePoint Online administrator, or a Site Collection administrator account.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the accounts (items) that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select Source endpoint > Select Destination endpoint > Click on the Save button.
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Click on Add and enter the email address of each Google Drive user for Source, and the corresponding document library name at the Destination that the Source documents will be migrated into.
- Note: The name that needs to be entered under Destination in MigrationWiz will be the text that is at the end of the site URL. This may be different than the actual name that has been set for the Document Library. The examples below help explain this:
- If the document library is named "Documents" and the URL is listed as "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Documents/", enter Documents as the document library name.
- If your document library is named "Documents" but the URL says "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/", the name of the document library that needs to be entered is Shared Documents.
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users letting them know the time and date of the migration. During this time, they should not modify any documents in their Google Drive accounts, because any modifications will not be included in the migration.
Perform the migration. Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- Set the value for maximum licenses to consume per item, per pass. The default value is one license per user, which allows up to 10GB to be migrated per user. However, if a user has 28GB of data, the migration will pause at 10GB and you will have to assign more licenses to the user. The recommended maximum licenses to consume per user for a document migration project is five (5) licenses per user, which allows up to 50GB of data to be migrated per user. The project will only consume the number of licenses for the amount of data migrated. If a user has 28GB of data, then only three out of the five licenses will be consumed, and two licenses will remain. KB004890
- Under Support/Support Options add:
- InitializationTimeout=28800000 - This increases the initialization timeout window to eight hours. KB005099
- FolderLimit=20000 - This increases the maximum number of folders for the migration to 20,000. Large companies might have more than 10,000 folders (the default) to migrate, so we recommend increasing the folder limit to 20,000. KB005557
- RenameConflictingFiles=1- This automatically renames the files that have the same name. It will rename the files to their original file names, followed by an unique identifier hash so it does not interfere with the original name and search. KB005006.
- Note: There are no spaces on either side of the "=" sign, and the entries are case-sensitive, so pay special attention to the capital letters in the commands above.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Select the users > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- Important: Deselect permissions before migrating. If permissions are left checked, this will result in errors during your migration, because permissions cannot be migrated for this scenario.
To prevent users from inadvertently logging in and using their Google Drive accounts, decommission the Google Drive user accounts, or change their passwords.