Export to PST Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To go to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, go to the Delivery Center and add an Archive: Export Exchange Archive to PST File service to the customer. Read the Delivery Center article for more information about adding services to a customer.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for exporting either regular mailboxes or personal archive mailboxes to PST files.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- For this scenario, the Destination is a storage container on Azure. This will hold all of the PST files, after the mailboxes have been exported to PST.
- The export of the selected mailboxes will be saved, in the Azure container, as one or more PST files per user mailbox.
- A new PST will be created for every 10GB of data in a mailbox. This increases the export speed and leads to efficiency improvements.
- BitTitan Azure Storage is only available as a Source endpoint for PST migration.
Prepare the Source Environment
Note: If your Source server is running Exchange version 2003, or Small Business Server (SBS), refer to the Prepare the Source Environment section in KB004965.
- If your migration requires it, set up an administrator account for the migration.
- If your Source is Exchange, EWS must be working on Source Exchange server. KB004392
- Test mailbox access. KB004616
- Disable the Exchange throttling policy. This is only relevant for Exchange 2010+. Exchange versions 2007 and earlier do not have throttling policies.
- Follow the instructions under Option 1 in KB004945 to disable throttling for just the admin account, rather for than all users.
Prepare the Destination Environment:
- Estimate Azure storage costs. Note: This step is optional, but it is useful in order to provide the customer with upfront storage costs ahead of time. KB005177
- Buy an Azure subscription (or use the free one-month trial, and be aware that this option is only viable if you are performing a very small migration). KB004996
- Create an Azure storage account, and take note of the Storage Account Name and the Primary Access Key (in Azure, from the storage screen, click Manage Access Keys at the bottom of the screen). These will be needed when creating your Destination endpoint in MSPComplete.
- Note: There is no need to create any Azure containers for this migration. If you do create your own container, it must be a public container, and the name should not contain any spaces. KB008059
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Exchange Server 2003+.
Enter the OWA URL. KB004392
Click on the Provide Credentials radio button, and enter the admin account credentials for the account that was set up under the Prepare The Destination Environment of this guide.
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete dashboard, click on Purchase > Mailbox Migration or Personal Archive Migration (depending on whether you are exporting regular or personal archive mailboxes to PST) > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox or MigrationWiz-Personal Archive, and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. KB004647
This video provides a walk-through of the MigrationWiz steps to follow when exporting mailboxes to PST files.
Create the Mailbox Migration project or Archive Migration project (depending on whether you are exporting regular or personal archive mailboxes to PST). KB004380. Note: If you are migrating a mixture of regular maiboxes and personal archive mailboxes, create one mailbox migration project and one archive project.
Add the accounts, also referred to as "items", that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
- Create the Mailbox Migration Project or Personal Archive Project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- The Source will be the STMP address for each mailbox.
- The Destination will be the name that you want for the PST file. It must include .pst at the end of each entry. A good format to follow is to name each file after the username that the PST file will belong to, e.g., user1.pst, user2.pst.
The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Perform export. Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top > Select Full Migration > Click Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Destination: PST > Container Name = migrationwiz.