IMAP to G Suite Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, click the waffle icon () in the top navigation bar of MSPComplete, and select the appropriate migration product.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating mailboxes from IMAP systems to G Suite.
- Complete each step in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- Due to API limitations, IMAP migrations will only migrate mail items.
- The MSPComplete section includes steps to deploy the Device Management Agent (DMA) to end users. This is an Agent which includes multiple modules, e.g., for HealthCheck for Office 365 and DeploymentPro. It is not required to install DMA for this migration scenario. However, BitTitan will be adding several modules to DMA, and these will be important to power MSPComplete feeds (which will provide further information to you about upsell and cross-sell opportunities).
- Note: We can only migrate mail items that are stored on the IMAP server. Verify that a copy of the mail remains on the server. If there is no mail on the IMAP server and it is stored in a local PST, use the PST migration process. If the data is stored in a local Outlook OST file (Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016), export the mailbox to a PST and use the PST migration process.
- There are many different versions of IMAP mail systems available. For this reason, we recommend running a trial migration on one or more mailbox(es) prior to the actual full migration project.
- Once the trial migration completes, check on the folder structure at the Destination to ensure that the directory structure is as desired. KB004671
- This guide includes a folder mapping under the MigrationWiz Steps section, which will ensure that folders are mapped to the root label on the Destination mailboxes, rather than under inbox/labelname.
Prepare the Source Environment
- Test connectivity to the IMAP server, by going here. Fill in the form, and click on the Test button.
- Export the user list to a CSV file.
- Administrator accounts with at least read rights can export a user list.
- If you do not have an administrator account, you need to ask your IMAP host to provide you with a complete user list, in CSV file format.
- This CSV file will be used to bulk add users into your MigrationWiz mailbox project.
Prepare the Destination Environment
- Create users on G Suite. Refer to G Suite admin help article here.
Grant MigrationWiz OAuth 2.0 access to G Suite. KB005019
- G Suite as the Destination (full scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
Purchase licenses. From your MSPComplete Dashboard, click Purchase > Mailbox Migration > select MigrationWiz-Mailbox and enter the number of licenses you wish to purchase. Note: Check to see if there are any available bundles for discounts (e.g., MigrationWiz-Mailbox and DeploymentPro Bundle). KB004647
Deploy DMA to users (optional). Once DMA has been deployed to users, check the Users tab in MSPComplete. This will be populated with the user accounts that have DMA installed. DMA can be deployed by either of these options:
For the Source endpoint:
Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select IMAP.
Server Name should follow format: imap.example.com
Enter server port. As a general rule, the server port will be either 143 or 993 (if using SSL). Note: If you are using SSL, checkmark the Use SSL box.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select G Suite/Gmail.
- It is necessary to add ALL domains that will be migrated to. This means that if there are users in one project with domain names Sourcedomain.com and Destinationdomain.com, it is important to ensure that both of these are added under Your Domains when creating the endpoints. When you add a domain, you need to click on the "+" button.
- Enter Administrative email address. Note: This is the account that has admin access level to the Google admin portal.
- Via Group Policy Object (GPO). Note: This is the recommended methodology, because no end user interaction is required. KB005412 video
- Via email. KB005411
Watch this video to see a walk-through of the steps below.
Create the Mailbox Migration project. KB004380
Add the accounts (also referred to as items) that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
- Create the Mailbox Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
Set the Project Advanced Options. KB004834
- Use Bulk Add, with a CSV file that contains your user list.
- If you have an admin account on the Source IMAP system, the format will be as follows. Note: Most IMAP systems do not support administrative credentials. Refer to KB004344 for a list of supported IMAP systems.
If you do not have an admin account, enter the Source Email addresses in the Source Email column, and checkmark the I don't know the login name and password for the Source mailboxes box. Note: Users will then be asked to provide their credentials during the migration process. Video
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Notify users that a migration is occurring. Send email to all users telling them the time and date of the migration.
Pre-Stage pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, and select Pre-Stage Migration > Under the Migration Scheduling section, from the drop-down list, select 90 days ago > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
MX Record Cutover. Change over MX records on the DNS provider's portal. Also include the AutoDiscover (CName) setting.
Send email to end users to let them know what to expect for their Outlook profile reconfiguration. If using DeploymentPro, refer to KB005799 for some sample text and screen shots that can be included in this email.
Full (Delta) pass: Select the users > Click on the Start button from the top, select Full Migration > Click on Start Migration. KB004938
Run Retry Errors. KB004658
- The following options are the most valuable for this migration scenario:
- Note: If errors are listed in the MigrationWiz dashboard with the following error message: "Unexpected extra arguments to Examine Context: FolderNameWithQuote", then follow the steps below to add the support option flag AllowQuoteInFolder=1 at the item level, and run retry errors. KB005859
Look through the user list and click on any red "failed migration" errors. Review information and act accordingly.
If problems persist, contact Support. KB004529
If users will be using Microsoft Outlook with G Suite, they will need to follow instructions here, to download and install G Suite Sync for Outlook and create a new Outlook profile that connects to G Suite.
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Steps: Click the Edit Item icon to the right of the item that you wish to edit > Under the Support section, enter the support option: AllowQuoteInFolder=1 > Click Save Item > Select the line item in your MigrationWiz dashboard > Click Start > Retry Errors