SharePoint to Google Drive Migration Guide
Important: When you sign in to MigrationWiz, you are redirected to the Getting Started page in MSPComplete. To get to a migration project created before April 4, 2017, click the Go to Projects button on the Getting Started Page. To create a new project for the migration scenario documented in this article, click the waffle icon () in the top navigation bar of MSPComplete, and select the appropriate migration product.
- This is the complete onboarding task flow for migrating documents from SharePoint to Google Drive.
- Complete the steps in order. Links to corresponding Knowledge Base articles are provided.
- This is a many-to-one migration path. This means that data that belongs to many users will be migrated into a single account. This is a rare business case.
- For the Source, both On-Premises and SharePoint Online versions are supported. The Source must be either SharePoint Online or SharePoint On-Premises 2010 or later. Versions 2007 and earlier are not supported.
- What is migrated:
- What is not migrated:
- Types other than documents, e.g., lists (including tasks and news feeds)
Prepare Source Environment
- Obtain account credentials of a SharePoint Online administrator or Site Collection administrator account to be used for migration, or use the global admin account for the tenant. More information on these can be found here.
- Obtain the site URL.
- Obtain a list of libraries that need to be migrated, and the corresponding Google Drive accounts to migrate them into.
Prepare Destination Environment
- Grant MigrationWiz OAuth2.0 access to authenticate to Google Drive. KB005019
- Note: G Suite as the Destination (full scopes):
https://mail.google.com/, https://www.google.com/m8/feeds, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, https://sites.google.com/feeds/
- Add users to Google Drive. Instructions are located here.
- Create the customer. KB005421
- Create the Source and Destination endpoints. KB005427
- For the Source endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select SharePoint.
- Enter the URL for the top level SharePoint document library, i.e., the site URL. Refer to the 12-minute mark of this video for guidance on how to determine the site URL.
- Enter the administrator username and password in the fields. Note: This must be either a Global administrator, SharePoint Online administrator, or a Site Collection administrator account.
- For the Destination endpoint:
- Click on EndPoints > Add Endpoint > Enter endpoint name > For endpoint type, select Google Drive. Enter the Google admin account email address and domain name in the appropriate fields.
- Create the Document Migration project. KB005070
Add the items that will be migrated to the project. KB004842
- Create the Document Migration project > Select the customer > Select the Source endpoint > Select the Destination endpoint.
- Click on Add > Quick Add,
- Under Source, enter the Source library name in the field provided.
- This does not require the whole URL, just the name of the library. The name that needs to be entered under the library field for both Source and Destination will be the text that is at the end of the site URLs.
- This field is case-sensitive.
- This may be different than the actual name that has been set for the Document Library. The examples below help explain this:
- If the document library is named "Documents" and the URL is listed as "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Documents/", enter Documents as the document library name.
- If your document library is named "Documents" but the URL says "xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/", the name of the document library that needs to be entered is Shared Documents.
- Under Destination, enter the name of the Google Drive account to migrate this library into.
Add folder filters to entries. Note: This step is optional, and only required if only certain directories under a library need to be migrated into Google Drive accounts. KB004670
Set the Project Advanced Options. Note: This step is optional, because there are no specific recommended advanced options for this scenario. KB004834
Run Verify Credentials. KB004511
Purchase Document Migration licenses. KB004647
Perform the migration. Steps for a Full Migration pass:
- For example, to migrate a folder named directory1 and its subfolders, define the following folder filter: ^(?!directory1)
- Steps to add this filter: click on the pencil icon (edit icon) on the right-hand side of the user dashboard > Advanced Options > Filter Folders > enter the following filter inclusion: ^(?!directory1)
- This will create the directory on the Destination Google Drive account and migrate the files into that directory.
- To migrate them into the root directory , add a folder mapping. KB005017
Click on the pie chart icon in the MigrationWiz dashboard to receive an email containing all the project migration statistics. KB004626
- Select the items > From the top navigation, click on the Start button > From the drop-down list, select Full Migration > Click on the Start Migration button. KB004938
- Important: Deselect permissions before migrating. If permissions are left checked, this will result in errors during your migration, because permissions cannot be migrated for this scenario.
- To prevent users from inadvertently using the Source SharePoint libraries, decommission the Source SharePoint server, libraries, or user accounts.